Brewing mid ocean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if it is at all possible to brew beer while voyaging. I'm planning to spend 3 to 10 years voyaging on a trimaran in the various oceans of the world starting from the left coast. Here are the problems as I see them:

Boil safety:
The boil is the greatest hazard, and would require a brew kettle and burner that are secure. The kettle should be higher than normal for the volume, with the top portion narrowed to prevent hot wort from sloshing out. I'm imagining a custom built close fitting insert in a standard stock pot. The insert would be kind of like an inverted funnel shape. The process would be BIAB of course. No boil / no chill might be the best, using a "hop decoction". (thumbing my nose at the language gestapo again)
Logically the burner should be attached right to the boil kettle/mash tun, and the entire thing mounted in an assembly similar to the Sea Swing Stove though scaled up.
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-45a-in-bremer-sea-swing.15673/

Keep brew sizes down to 2 or 3 gallons to make them manageable

Of course brew only in mild conditions. On a trimaran or cat sailing downwind in the trades, not pushing for max speed, the ride can be quite smooth.

Fermentation:
The fermenter would be a "steep conical" like the Fast Ferement (just bought one yesterday), to encourage trump to settle fairly tightly. It might need to be kept in a swinging mount......maybe.
Temp control will be a near impossibility, at least anything below seawater temperature. Seawater temp in Polynesia ranges from 86F to 89F, which means that yeast suitable to those temps is necessary, and/or a small 12 volt solar powered pump and a cloth jacket to give evaporative cooling. The salt build up would probably result in needing to wash the jacket every day. I would expect that with evaporative cooling it would be possible to maintain temps around 70 in a shaded location using a periodic squirt system of some sort. Belle Saison might be an ideal yeast for this, as I like the flavors it throws when fermented hot.

Material stowage. That is a simple matter for grain. Just break it down into suitable units and vacuum seal it with a food saver. Hops are just going to lose some of their potency unless they can be refrigerated, and that is a dubious proposition.

Material availability.......... a real problem. Panama City, Valparaiso, nothing I know of in French Polynesia, though there is a brewery in Papeete, and of course NZ and OZ both have home brew materials. Oz Brew in Darwin, so Darwin is a MUST STOP passing through the Torres Straits toward the Indian Ocean. Juan Brew located off the South Luzon Expressway south of Manila is a microbrewery and supply store, and the Philippines is a great cruising ground. HK Brewcraft in Hong Kong. Indonesia is kind of a loss cause, but there are two home brew stores in Singapore, and while it is illegal to home brew in Thailand, the fines are small and it's not enforced, and Thailand has 4 home brew stores, none of the websites list the locations, just phone numbers, so I assume that they operated sub rosa. Most of Africa outside of South Africa is a loss cause it would seem, so one had better stock up in Durban, or Capetown. Buenos Aries has at least one, but not Monte Video, and Brazil looks pretty empty. There is at least one in Puerto Rico, and no doubt an abundance of them in the European countries and the Med. And of course Scandinavia.
Brewing with unconventional materials.... sweet potatoes, Bananas & Plantains, both Taro and Breadfruit have been used in beer, as has Papaya, including roasted payaya seeds. The sap of a number of species of palm is sweet enough that it is fermented into palm wine, yielding about 4% ABV without concentrating it. Sugar and honey are available almost anywhere, and used with malt that has been mashed at a higher temp to make it less fermentable, along with some dark crystal can make a pretty decent beer.
The possibilities are endless. What is clear to me is that a goodly supply of amylase might be a Godsend.

So when I sail off into the 7 seas, does that mean I have to abandon home brewing? I think not. It means that I have to go to greater lengths and employ more imagination, and know in advance where the nearest homebrew store is. Realistically, as I will be sailing single or double handed, carrying enough malt to keep me supplied should not present much of a challenge. 100 pounds of two row, some crystal, and a couple pounds of hops will brew a lot of beer........... about 50 gallons without any adjuncts. At 2 pints a day that's 100 days of beer for 2 people. If a person can't stretch that out to 6 months by using creative adjuncts, he isn't much of a brewer!!

H.W.

Have you cruise offshore before? As someone who has several thousand miles of offshore sailing under his belt, even in all but the calmest of seas cooking is a challenge. Pots and pans will slide around some even on the best gimbled stove. Now finding a beach and doing it is possible but the next thing will be temp control. Ice boxes take power and often times we just about froze everything when running the motor so we could turn off the ice box and have the power to run the auto pilot.

Would a Picobrew be out of the question? From a brewing sandpoint, it would be extremely simple. Powering it and getting something to make it ocean ready would be a challenge.

Yes....... I have. A multihull is much more stable than a monohull, particularly when you aren't pushing it. I've never seen a swinging stove in a multihull. The trimaran heels more than a catamaran, but still only about 15 deg max, and they don't get that pendulum rolling motion that's so irritating. It's a very different environment. I believe it would be possible to brew on the go in a multihull as long as one is prepared properly. I wouldn't even consider it in a monohull. The other thing you have going for you is the fact that you can "take the ground" in a tidal estuary and be rock stable during low tide, though the pacific islands have hardly any tidal range at all. In many places it's only about a foot. There are many sheltered atolls and places behind reefs in places like the Taumotos Kiribati, Fiji, even Minnerva Reefs.
Brewing is something to do when the ideal conditions come up....... In the ITCZ when it is glassy smooth with the occasional zephyr, not something to do on a schedule. Just like making a schedule to get someplace, it's not a good plan to say "I'm going to brew Wednesday morning". On a three or 4 week passage, you will may have suitable days, or maybe not. Both the Atlantic and the Pacific have their equatorial ITCZ.
I consider the way most people try to refrigerate on a boat silly. Ice is the answer, and it's wonderful energy storage. Far better than batteries. You make ice when you have solar or wind energy rather than trying to operate a refrigerator like we do on land. You need a different mindset.
I do think the intermittent spray for keeping fermenter temps under control using evaporative cooling would work...... there's usually a breeze, or we wouldn't have sailboats.

H.W.

Have you cruise offshore before? As someone who has several thousand miles of offshore sailing under his belt, even in all but the calmest of seas cooking is a challenge. Pots and pans will slide around some even on the best gimbled stove. Now finding a beach and doing it is possible but the next thing will be temp control. Ice boxes take power and often times we just about froze everything when running the motor so we could turn off the ice box and have the power to run the auto pilot.

Would a Picobrew be out of the question? From a brewing sandpoint, it would be extremely simple. Powering it and getting something to make it ocean ready would be a challenge.

An interesting thought, but technology and voyaging don't go well together. Electronics tend to be short lived, contacts and connections corrode horrendously.

H.W.

Here is some reading (I have not read them, just did a quick google)

http://www.svsarana.com/brewing/how-to-brew-beer-on-a-boat.php

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=181723

My in laws have an Island Packet 380 they have sailed to the Med and back. I'm sure much smaller than your boat. I would think it would be very hard to do Brewing on a boat. If it were me, I would be brewing some awesome beers and bottling in 750's to store and drink along the journey.

I would think the boil to be the hardest part. If you know the BTU's of the stove of the boat then you can start doing some trials on your stove at home. I would look into using a pressure cooker to boil a high gravity wort. At the end of the boil pull your hops that are in a bag and then close the pressure cooker and heat again to boiling and then let the wort cool over night. This should keep the wort sanitized and also prevent accidental spilling. In the morning dilute the high gravity wort with water and then pitch your yeast. That way you are maybe only boiling 1 or 2 gallons but getting 2 or 3 gallons of beer.

Here is some reading (I have not read them, just did a quick google)

http://www.svsarana.com/brewing/how-to-brew-beer-on-a-boat.php

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=181723

My in laws have an Island Packet 380 they have sailed to the Med and back. I'm sure much smaller than your boat. I would think it would be very hard to do Brewing on a boat. If it were me, I would be brewing some awesome beers and bottling in 750's to store and drink along the journey.

I would think the boil to be the hardest part. If you know the BTU's of the stove of the boat then you can start doing some trials on your stove at home. I would look into using a pressure cooker to boil a high gravity wort. At the end of the boil pull your hops that are in a bag and then close the pressure cooker and heat again to boiling and then let the wort cool over night. This should keep the wort sanitized and also prevent accidental spilling. In the morning dilute the high gravity wort with water and then pitch your yeast. That way you are maybe only boiling 1 or 2 gallons but getting 2 or 3 gallons of beer.

I think the no boil / no chill process makes the most sense on shipboard. I will repeat the fact that multihulls ride far more smoothly than monohulls, and don't get into that awful pendulum rolling motion that drives people crazy when running downwind. It also makes a huge difference how hard you push the boat.

H.W.

haha Donald Crowhurst / Teignmouth Electron. It's sitting in the Caymans now. I suggest this for light reading: The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. I did read this. If you want to read about the trials of a trimaran, this is a good one. Lots of EPIC and tragic fail.

200801_mattconnors_img_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cruising ketch, I sail up and down the East Coast. I don't live aboard, I brew at home. I have idly considered brewing aboard at anchor. My gimballed propane stove can boil a couple of gallons. I would do small batches with Belgian yeast that can ferment warm.

haha Donald Crowhurst / Teignmouth Electron. It's sitting in the Caymans now. I suggest this for light reading: The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. I did read this. If you want to read about the trials of a trimaran, this is a good one. Lots of EPIC and tragic fail.

200801_mattconnors_img_1.jpg

That race took place nearly half a century ago... the first Golden Globe, or later the Vendee Globe. The Tiegenmouth Electron was quickly and poorly built on an inadequate budget. I was 13 years old when Donald Crowhurst slid into the sea completing one of the strangest sea sagas in modern times.

See also A Voyage for Madmen, which tells the story of the 1968 Golden Globe race, and the men who competed in it, with a fairly lengthy coverage of Donald Crowhurst. It's worth reading.

Modern CRUISING trimarans, and there are not many true cruising trimarans out there, and I use the term "modern" tongue in cheek, as most are designs that date back to that era, are extremely strong and have no structural issues, and will take an awful beating. They often weigh half was a comparable monohull would weigh..... or less, because they lack any ballast except their "natural ballast" (cargo), which is carried entirely in the center hull. Unlike monohulls, they do not sink, as there is a lot of flotation and no ballast to carry them to the bottom. A typical cruising monohull has a couple of tons of ballast, plus the cargo, including engine, etc. The two outrigger hulls are or should be sectioned off with watertight bulkheads, isolated from the main hull, empty of significant cargo weight, and more than sufficient to keep the main hull afloat with it's entire payload. They are their own "life raft" even if capsized, which is very rare. There are several sagas of people living inside the hull of an inverted trimaran for fairly long periods of time, the most dramatic of which is the saga of the Rose Noelle. There are several well written accounts of this dramatic survival story in which 3 men lived 4 months off the sea after being turned over by that legendary freak wave that few men have seen, and fewer lived to tell about.
A trimaran, instead of plowing through the water like a hippo, skates across it like a water strider. The fine hulls and shallow draft / light weight allow this. In heavy weather they will surf the waves, and in fact usually need some sort of drogue in "survival conditions" to keep from accelerating down the face of one wave into the back of another. Lying ahull (broadside to the waves), as some people do in these conditions, they will ride the waves moving with them rather than being beaten up by them provided they don't have a fixed keel to "trip" them. (lifting keel pulled up). Storm strategies have come a long way for all boats.
A cruising trimaran is the only boat I would want to undertake this voyage in, though there are many thousands of monohulls plying the waters of the world.

H.W.

...... I consider the way most people try to refrigerate on a boat silly. Ice is the answer, and it's wonderful energy storage. Far better than batteries. You make ice when you have solar or wind energy rather than trying to operate a refrigerator like we do on land. You need a different mindset.
I do think the intermittent spray for keeping fermenter temps under control using evaporative cooling would work...... there's usually a breeze, or we wouldn't have sailboats.

H.W.
The Danfoss refrigeration systems are very energy efficient.

I can't imagine trying to make homebrew on a boat like that.

It sounds like just the thing someone like you, you thinks outside the box, would be up for. I'd be interested in reading all about your trials and tribulations in both brewing and sailing. Be sure to keep good notes, and upload updates on a timely basis in case something very bad happens.

How do you prevent all the trub in your fermenter from splashing around and filling your beer with yeast/sediment? How will it ever floculate out? Even the lightest rocking side to side or fore and aft will be unavoidable unless you're in port in a protected area.

How do you prevent all the trub in your fermenter from splashing around and filling your beer with yeast/sediment? How will it ever floculate out? Even the lightest rocking side to side or fore and aft will be unavoidable unless you're in port in a protected area.

Filtration. LOTS of filtration.

What about serving the beer? Id assume youd keg? Bottling seems like a pain in the butt on a boat.

Try just taking bottles of your favorite brews with you and replenish in port. No water to worry about, no equipment, no grain, no hops/yeast to refrigerate, no flames................. some hobbies aren't transportable.

ping pong in space...

DME + yeast of choice + battery powered tea kettle?

Bavarian DME and Weihenstephaner yeast makes for a decent weissbier and uses very little hops but that temp might be pushing it even though it likes it on the warm side. Granted if you enjoy saison you might like what it throws off at those temps.

I think you're on the right track with the adjuncts! Bringing a stash of amylase enzymes is brilliant, so even in a malty emergency you could crank out SOMETHING fermentable.

You might also think about familiarizing yourself with the malting process, as raw barley may well be more available in some locales than malt. Sprouting a few pounds periodically for your small batches wouldn't be too big of a space/resource drain, and if you're somewhere warm you can dry it out well in the sun.

You won't end up with Maris Otter, but it'd get you by easily enough. Witbier, anyone?

OK lets be honest..Passage making is a very small part of the cruising life style.. Just make beer in port or on the hook where most of your time is spent anyway and store up beer for passages...Maybe you could do it on a day like this but why?...for me its canned beer when underway on the boat...just to may things to go wrong and to many other projects anyway...Good luck

IMG_0202.jpg

OK lets be honest..Passage making is a very small part of the cursing life style.. Just make beer in port or on the hook where most of your time is spent anyway and store up beer for passages...Maybe you could do it on a day like this but why?...for me its canned beer when underway on the boat...just to may things to go wrong and to many other projects anyway...Good luck

That looks wonderful, and I hate you. I've always dreamed about a big boat and sailing. I'm afraid it's never going to be the life for me. But I will live vicariously through other's lives, and some music.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9gLjEGJrw&list=RDBw9gLjEGJrw[/ame]

That looks wonderful, and I hate you. I've always dreamed about a big boat and sailing. I'm afraid it's never going to be the life for me. But I will live vicariously through other's lives, and some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9gLjEGJrw&list=RDBw9gLjEGJrw

Offshore sailing is the best worse time you can have! I swear on every passage that it is my last but by the time we get to port I am ready for the next trip. Ask around, you might be able to crew on boat heading to the Bahamas. It is an easy over night trip from Miami or Lauderdale.

Took this one between the Dry Tortugas Islands and Key West.
Here is one with John Kretschmer on his boat, One with my friend Kevin on the way to Bermuda. Former Navy helicopter pilot who gets sea sick One from when we were in Bermuda getting the dingy off A few from Bimini in the Bahamas Otto doing his job on the way from Ft Lauderdale to Solomon's Island Maryland.

If you have a 110v generator, how about using a Brasii? Search on Kickstarter

Stefan :mug:

I'm trying to determine if it is at all possible to brew beer while voyaging. I'm planning to spend 3 to 10 years voyaging on a trimaran in the various oceans of the world starting from the left coast. Here are the problems as I see them:

Boil safety:
The boil is the greatest hazard, and would require a brew kettle and burner that are secure. The kettle should be higher than normal for the volume, with the top portion narrowed to prevent hot wort from sloshing out. I'm imagining a custom built close fitting insert in a standard stock pot. The insert would be kind of like an inverted funnel shape. The process would be BIAB of course. No boil / no chill might be the best, using a "hop decoction". (thumbing my nose at the language gestapo again)
Logically the burner should be attached right to the boil kettle/mash tun, and the entire thing mounted in an assembly similar to the Sea Swing Stove though scaled up.
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-45a-in-bremer-sea-swing.15673/

Keep brew sizes down to 2 or 3 gallons to make them manageable

Of course brew only in mild conditions. On a trimaran or cat sailing downwind in the trades, not pushing for max speed, the ride can be quite smooth.

Fermentation:
The fermenter would be a "steep conical" like the Fast Ferement (just bought one yesterday), to encourage trump to settle fairly tightly. It might need to be kept in a swinging mount......maybe.
Temp control will be a near impossibility, at least anything below seawater temperature. Seawater temp in Polynesia ranges from 86F to 89F, which means that yeast suitable to those temps is necessary, and/or a small 12 volt solar powered pump and a cloth jacket to give evaporative cooling. The salt build up would probably result in needing to wash the jacket every day. I would expect that with evaporative cooling it would be possible to maintain temps around 70 in a shaded location using a periodic squirt system of some sort. Belle Saison might be an ideal yeast for this, as I like the flavors it throws when fermented hot.

Material stowage. That is a simple matter for grain. Just break it down into suitable units and vacuum seal it with a food saver. Hops are just going to lose some of their potency unless they can be refrigerated, and that is a dubious proposition.

Material availability.......... a real problem. Panama City, Valparaiso, nothing I know of in French Polynesia, though there is a brewery in Papeete, and of course NZ and OZ both have home brew materials. Oz Brew in Darwin, so Darwin is a MUST STOP passing through the Torres Straits toward the Indian Ocean. Juan Brew located off the South Luzon Expressway south of Manila is a microbrewery and supply store, and the Philippines is a great cruising ground. HK Brewcraft in Hong Kong. Indonesia is kind of a loss cause, but there are two home brew stores in Singapore, and while it is illegal to home brew in Thailand, the fines are small and it's not enforced, and Thailand has 4 home brew stores, none of the websites list the locations, just phone numbers, so I assume that they operated sub rosa. Most of Africa outside of South Africa is a loss cause it would seem, so one had better stock up in Durban, or Capetown. Buenos Aries has at least one, but not Monte Video, and Brazil looks pretty empty. There is at least one in Puerto Rico, and no doubt an abundance of them in the European countries and the Med. And of course Scandinavia.
Brewing with unconventional materials.... sweet potatoes, Bananas & Plantains, both Taro and Breadfruit have been used in beer, as has Papaya, including roasted payaya seeds. The sap of a number of species of palm is sweet enough that it is fermented into palm wine, yielding about 4% ABV without concentrating it. Sugar and honey are available almost anywhere, and used with malt that has been mashed at a higher temp to make it less fermentable, along with some dark crystal can make a pretty decent beer.
The possibilities are endless. What is clear to me is that a goodly supply of amylase might be a Godsend.

So when I sail off into the 7 seas, does that mean I have to abandon home brewing? I think not. It means that I have to go to greater lengths and employ more imagination, and know in advance where the nearest homebrew store is. Realistically, as I will be sailing single or double handed, carrying enough malt to keep me supplied should not present much of a challenge. 100 pounds of two row, some crystal, and a couple pounds of hops will brew a lot of beer........... about 50 gallons without any adjuncts. At 2 pints a day that's 100 days of beer for 2 people. If a person can't stretch that out to 6 months by using creative adjuncts, he isn't much of a brewer!!

H.W.

DME + yeast of choice + battery powered tea kettle?

Bavarian DME and Weihenstephaner yeast makes for a decent weissbier and uses very little hops but that temp might be pushing it even though it likes it on the warm side. Granted if you enjoy saison you might like what it throws off at those temps.

I don't think temp control would be a huge issue...... I don't know if you read my solution to temp control using evaporative cooling. A tiny pump would periodically wet a sleeve around the fermenter using seawater so it would keep cool just like that water bag my dad used to carry in the late 50's and early 60's when we traveled in the remote high desert regions of Eastern Oregon. The water in the bag was far cooler than air temp, though far from chilled.

H.W.

OK lets be honest..Passage making is a very small part of the cruising life style.. Just make beer in port or on the hook where most of your time is spent anyway and store up beer for passages...Maybe you could do it on a day like this but why?...for me its canned beer when underway on the boat...just to may things to go wrong and to many other projects anyway...Good luck

You are right about passage making being a small part of sailing. The long ones across the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic oceans are the exception. Most yachts spend most of their life in slips or on a mooring. My intent is to travel, and keep moving, but even that can result in staying in one general area for weeks, and in the Pacific islands, passages between islands often range from less than a day to 3 or 4 days. Some areas have protected lagoons inside of reefs, like the Fanning Island & Kiribati, the Taumotos, many islands in Fiji, even Minnerva Reefs at low tide, and countless other places. The actual brewing process is best done in sheltered places.. or when becalmed somewhere. Logically no boil / no chill makes the most sense. A trimaran doesn't get into that sickening pendulum roll that monohulls often do...... a much better environment for brewing. Fermentation can take place any time anywhere.
I dislike most canned beer intensely...... and always have. I would not even consider bottling. The Tap-a-Draft system I currently use is pretty ideal with it's 1.5 gallon lay down containers which if one wants, can be "bottle carbonated".

H.W.

I don't think temp control would be a huge issue...... I don't know if you read my solution to temp control using evaporative cooling. A tiny pump would periodically wet a sleeve around the fermenter using seawater so it would keep cool just like that water bag my dad used to carry in the late 50's and early 60's when we traveled in the remote high desert regions of Eastern Oregon. The water in the bag was far cooler than air temp, though far from chilled.

H.W.

Well in that case I'd probably try what I mentioned if it were me. Bavarian DME, magnum hops, and some Weihenstephaner yeast. Small foot print, quick turnaround, very simple but pretty tasty. Just my thinking.

Well in that case I'd probably try what I mentioned if it were me. Bavarian DME, magnum hops, and some Weihenstephaner yeast. Small foot print, quick turnaround, very simple but pretty tasty. Just my thinking.

I'm not sure I'd use a Belgian type yeast. I don't care for the strong clove flavors they throw when fermentation temp gets out of control. Of course pitching on top of the previous yeast cake so as to have a massive pitch would reduce the reproductive phase of the yeast enough that this probably would be minimized. On the other hand, I've let Belle Saison run wild, with fermentation temps exceeding 100F at times, and I like the flavors it throws under these circumstances.
It's been nearly 50 years since I've brewed an extract brew!! For me extract brewing takes the joy out of brewing. It also requires boiling. I'm currently about to make another foray into no boil / no chill, which is ideal for brewing aboard. It means that you can sterilize your wort in the pressure cooker in batches at about 170F for short periods of time, saving fuel, and increasing safety. A pint or so could be boiled with hops for a brief period of time, as in my most recent brew where I put all my hops in at 7 minutes (IBU about 48).

I plan to do a series of small brews next summer when temps are in the 90's indoors during the day, without any fermentation temp control using various yeasts and the same recipe. I already know that -05 doesn't handle high temps without leaving unpleasant flavors, and that Belle Saison does. Dry yeasts are the only options worth considering for a sea voyage, and that represents a fairly small selection.

H.W.

I haven't read the entire thread so please give me some leeway if this is a repeat.

Have you looked at Kveik yeast to brew without temperature control? Temperature range of 70° to 100°F.

Back