Homebrew Wimp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
It's hard to admit, but today I am a homebrew wimp. I have the liquor drawn and the recipe & steps ready to go, but here I sit, procrastinating on HBT, because I brew in an unheated garage, and it's warmed up to 24F. I know you midwest and northeast brewers might consider this balmy this time of year, but I live in the wet half of Washington State, where it's 45 in the winter and 65 in the summer, so this is totally unacceptable. 24 is not a temperature, it's a predatory interest rate.

Okay, so now that I've confessed, I'g going to finish my coffee, put on my long underwear and big-boy pants and get to it. That kolsch ain't gonna brew itself. On a positive note, I my chilling should go well...

I brewed outside on Saturday... it was about 15°, but felt like 0° with the windchill.

I woke up this morning to true -7° and drove to work... sounds like you've got t-shirt weather over that way.

I always did this too. But, in reality, after heating the strike water the garage was not all that cold. I'd keep the HLT burners going low through the mash to keep some heat in the garage.

Boil time always sucked though. Too damned cold to have the doors wide open but the steam fogged the room up like a venetian sauna. Got so bad one year the textured ceiling started to peel.

sKJ2zD7.jpg

I brewed a 10G all brain doppelbock in 23 degree weather. It came out awesome, though keeping the MT at temp was a PITA.

I plan to brew a 3G Utopias batch, am waiting this time until it's at least above freezing... which may be a week, rare in CO.

I brewed a 10G all brain doppelbock in 23 degree weather. It came out awesome, though keeping the MT at temp was a PITA.

I plan to brew a 3G Utopias batch, am waiting this time until it's at least above freezing... which may be a week, rare in CO.

ZombieWithBeer_blackedge%20copy.jpg

I HATE winter these days. I used to not mind it quite so much but now I hate cold and snow. Of course, it's a little chilly out there this week (around 2 below and windy right now) with about 4 feet of snow on the ground, so that is why.

I have always brewed indoors. It started on a stovetop, and then when I went all-electric, I just moved to my laundry room. The weather is always pretty nice in here!

A couple of positives- my ground water is 45 degrees so chilling is fast, my room temperature is always low 60s so fermentation temperatures aren't an issue, and I can make lagers in my basement.

That said, South Texas, here I come! :ban:

I plan on brewing tomorrow morning. Forecast for west winds 5 to 10 mph scattered snow showers and lake effect snow. The high temp is 25F.... but that will not stop me, no way-- cause I brew inside!

I HATE winter these days. I used to not mind it quite so much but now I hate cold and snow. Of course, it's a little chilly out there this week (around 2 below and windy right now) with about 4 feet of snow on the ground, so that is why.

I have always brewed indoors. It started on a stovetop, and then when I went all-electric, I just moved to my laundry room. The weather is always pretty nice in here!

A couple of positives- my ground water is 45 degrees so chilling is fast, my room temperature is always low 60s so fermentation temperatures aren't an issue, and I can make lagers in my basement.

That said, South Texas, here I come! :ban:

To keep my fern closet at 65 or less, I have to run an a/c unit 90% of the year. I have to buy 40# of ice to use with my immersion chiller because ground water can be as high as 85.

I don't have trouble keeping the mash tun warm though.

I brewed yesterday and it was in the low 20s. Gym shorts and a t shirt with the occasional hoodie was the attire. No shoes. I kept the garage door shut while the burner wasn't on. Got a little nippy durning the boil. A neighbor texted my wife right as I finished bc there was a bunch of water that had turned to ice on my driveway (from the plate chiller)....froze quicker than I thought

I'd brew outside at 24F, but since I don't HAVE to, I will be brewing in my kitchen, which will be approx. 75-80F.

Probably a BIAB half-batch since I need to brew a dry stout for a club competition and I really don't prefer dry stouts.

I probably should get the fermentation chamber warmed up on preparation...

I brewed yesterday (1/1/15) in my kitchen. 74F, in shorts and a tee shirt.
Wife and kids complained about the smell. I told them to buck up and embrace the smell of goodness!!!!
:rockin:

Well, it got brewed, smooth day with no injuries. I had to break the ice on my 5-gallon bucket of StarSan, and had to adjust my strike water temp to account for a 34 degree grain bill, but I hit my target dead on. Had a bigger than typical temp drop, but did get a clean starch test. On a positive note, I chilled 6.3 gallons from boiling to 62 in 16 minutes through a recirculating CFC. Record time.

I feel your pain for the harshness of winter, its brutal. I had to put sunscreen on when I went to the beach yesterday the temp was 58* F BUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRR. Oh by the way that was the low for the day. I love the winter in the deep south summers suck. I would post pics but I was wearing a thong. That should be a crime against humanity so don't tell the U.N

Latest posts

Back