Homebrew Extinguisher Kegerator W/Battery Tower Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
Over the past 3 days i have

Made a keg out of a Fire extinguisher
Made a kegerator out of a Magic Chef WITH a freezer compartment
Made a Battery powered Tower cooler

It all started when i was surfing online and came across the "Thirst extinguisher" and got to thinking. I have a Magic Chef Mini fridge that sits in the closet of my "Man Room" (room with deer, turkey, pheasant mounts on the walls next to my bows and gun safe). The fridge is not big enough to fit 2 cornys but i CAN fit two of the extinguishers. So i got to looking and found this little bugger that i "fitted" into a keg.

p-1111.jpg

$40 each on E-bay, it holds 3 Gallons. I got two. :)
If you get one make sure its NOT a B136 tank, you WILL NOT be able to get the B136 residue out of the tank. :( Found this out the hard way.

* I replaced the downpipe with a stainless steel one (home depot)
* Cleaned the inside (about 5 times)
* Replaced the seals
* Cleaned the brass fittings and springs
* Replaced the "sprayer hose" with a nipple that will fit 3/16" tube
* Replaced the "Tire fill valve" that the FD uses to fill them with compressed air. with a nipple that will fit my CO2 line.
* Drilled another hole in the handle to put a cotter pin to hold the handle down when in the kegerator.

I got it all hooked up and ready to go (with water) but when i tried to push the fluid it bubbled and spit and kicked out. NO good.

:eek:

The CO2 goes in the same down tube the fluid comes up :drunk: So...

* I drilled & tapped a nipple into the side of the tank and sealed it.
* Hooked up and pressurized to 14lbs and it works GREAT!

100_6345.jpg

Then came fitting the Kegorator
* I got the tower...
* Removed the crap in the fridge
* Made my Kegorator
* Added a rail & Drip Tray (nothing like a $5 drip tray with suction cups)

100_6344.jpg

100_6349.jpg

100_6343.jpg

Then came the dreaded "first beer with foam"
To fix this i didnt want to add another power outlet so i made a battery powered one. I used a computer fan and PVC junction box with 1" tube. I gave it power by hooking up an extra 9.4V Hilti battery pack i had sitting around. I have two packs and a charger with no Hilti tools. Seemed logical.

Here it is UNpainted

100_6347.jpg

Since its only a 3 gallon tank I hooked it up to a Paintball CO2 tank with a remote setup so i could mount the regulator on the door and put the tank in the back. So far the one 20oz CO2 tank has carbed and pushed 2.5 of the Kegs and it looks like it will be out at the end of the third keg.

Sweet.. how much did the kegs end up costing? I was thinking about getting a 3 gallon keg for experimental batches but the 3 gallon kegs that i have found all go for over $100.

Total price for the keg and fittings was about $60. Ill try to take better photos. It seems like the flash on my camera is about shot.
This photo is from the site i linked to above.

thirst+extinguisher.jpg

Not to mention if you pressurize it you can walk around a party and shoot people with beer up to 30' away!
But that may be considered alcohol abuse...

The one with the bigger opening would work better (not the amerex)
but that would work great!

Completely off topic... but that Amerex fire extinguisher was made right down the road from where I grew up.

I see a easy way to smuggle beer into festivals that don't allow outside alcohol

haha "don't mind me I always bring my own fire extinguisher to the football games I goto. Never know where or when a fire will brake out".... who knows might just be crazy enough to work. Only one way to find out.

You could easily hook up a bike CO2 filler to this and push your beer that way. that way no CO2 tank to explain.

Also, beer on a boat... You kill two birds with one stone, you have your required fire extinguisher and Beer!

I saw a post about one of these on here a while back, had one in the garage that was used for watering down campfires when we were done. Cleaned and sanitized replaced seals and fittings.

I also changed out the pressure guage with a 0-30psi guage, and added a gas fill post from an old junk cornie keg for adding co2 or blended gas for stouts.

have a stout in it under blended gas force carbing now, gonna try it out this weekend.

I have 3 of these. One with the valve, and 2 without. I bought 1 off the internets, and picked up the 2 without valves at the scrapyard. Have not got around to turning into kegs yet. I was loathe to use the brass valve to serve beer. There is some evidence that the acidity of the fermented beer can leach stuff from the brass into your beer. I was jsut going to build a replacement QD device to screw on the top at work instead and have not got around to it. Even if the brass is no big deal, I'll have to find a way to use the two without valves on them. I have planned on using one of them for soda, since I don't want those flavors in my beer kegs...

Mine were too. I boiled and soaked mine, then cleaned them with a wire brush and boiled and soaked again.

The wire wheel worked wonders.

if i decide to use my normal co2 tank....what are the 2 parts i need? the item that goes onto the bike tire valve and the item that screws in to replace the old dispensing hose

So 12psi through the port where the schrader valve was really messes everything up? Kinda looks like the guy from the other website blog had it attached directly there?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back