Homebrew Con 2024 location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy much packaged beer at the store, but I go to area breweries for a few pints. Pre-pandemic the price was typically $5-6 a pint for the average brew. Now I'm seeing more like $7-8, and a few $9 pints. At one place, they held to $7, but replaced their true pint nonics with the 13 or so oz. shakers.

One brewery I've been to a few times has a nice, barrel-aged imperial stout. It's $12 for a 10 oz. pour. They sell 750ml bottles of it for $34, which, ounce for ounce, is what would get me a decent 12 yr single malt in the liquor store.
I just moved to Georgia - the craft beer is still around $6 per pint. I don't understand it but maybe it isn't taxed as much as other places. (Watch the price jump up cuz I opened my big mouth. )

I accidentally got into making beer. The first time I brewed, I was hooked. At that time, I really didn't know much about commercial craft beer. Turns out I just really enjoy the process and the results. And I like hanging out with like minded individuals. If that means Denver (nae bad place to hang oot) so be it. 🍻
Completely true. I was hooked after my first conference but the true dopamine hit came the first time our club was close enough to pour our beer. That's the one thing I don't know if I can do without over several years (and still find the value in attending).

Completely true. I was hooked after my first conference but the true dopamine hit came the first time our club was close enough to pour our beer. That's the one thing I don't know if I can do without over several years (and still find the value in attending).
For the Nashville conference, all the South Florida clubs were working together to do a Florida Man themed booth for club night. Then covid.

Many are probably just drinking less. With inflation, it's the luxuries that tend to go first. I'm hearing the same story from area restaurateurs--people are eating out less. When the pandemic wound down, people were busting down the doors to go out to bars and restaurants. I think a lot of folks are now dialing things back again.

And homebrewing supplies have really shot up in price, too. With LHBS prices of grain running ~$3/lb, hops at $3/oz., and dry yeast hitting $5 or more, the average casual homebrewer might find that a bit much. Sure, you can save by getting grain by the sack, hops by the pound, and reuse yeast, but the typical weekend warrior isn't into it that deep.
There are so many breweries making so many styles, some people just naturally opt not to spend 5 hours or so brewing, then managing fermentation, packaging and dispense. Also many of those breweries were started by people who were passionate homebrewers that went pro.

On a thread talking about the cost of an entry to the NHC, it was pointed out that the AHA's focus on being inclusive and encouraging diversity was a bit at odds with a competition that costs $50 to $200 for somebody to enter a handful of beers (including just the entry, packaging and shipping costs, not the cost of brewing the entries and the $50 annual cost to be a member). The same seems to apply here. Without a plane flight, conference attendance and half the cost of a room in Pittsburgh was about $1K for me. I am sure SD would have been $1.5K or more. At those prices, it is going to be hard to attract the "average joe" that only dreams of having an extra $1K to put towards savings.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! There are other ways to make the event just as fun and informative without going all in on the exclusive sites and top shelf accommodations. Again, just one man's opinion. Like I said in another thread, if you can afford it and you are comfortable spending that kinda cash, that's awesome. Rock On!!!!!!!!

I don't think HBC has been about the average joe brewer for many years. Plunking down upwards of $1.5k to attend the event (and many times more for vendors) puts it out of reach for most regular folks. I suppose HBC started out targeting day-to-day brewers in its formative years in the '80s. It was probably like a club meeting on steroids with a couple hundred attendees. But like many events like that, it inevitably snowballs and the money becomes more and more of a factor. A victim of its own success. Burning Man started out as a small, counter-culture event. It's now a media circus with tens of thousands of people.

It makes economic sense for AHA to make HBC a bolt-on addition to GABF. Pooling resources--I get it. But it'll be interesting to see in future years if HBC stands on its own two legs, or if it will be seen as GABF's ugly stepsister.

From what I have found on the topic, the sponsors are playing 2024 close to the vest, with the word out that if San Diego loses as much $$$ as Pittsburg did last year, there may not be a Homebrew Con 2024 ("at least not in person")...

Cheers!
Kind of reminds me of the Olympics, city's are putting their bids in to host and if they are choosen they end up in the poor house.
Except it's AHA, participants and the vendors ending up in the poor house.

Last edited:
It’s something that’s always only going to draw the most hardcore homebrewers. There’s too many regional beer festivals. Why bother? That’s why I’ve never gone.
I respectfully disagree with that. The way it is now? Yes, that is correct. But, and I will go back to the Good Guys Hot Rod shows in my area, if they scale it down or at least try ad scale down the event location and make it a more affordable weekend, I think they will see many more of the "average joe" types of brewers. For the Good Guys, you get ranges between the all out hot rod guys who spend thousands if not tens of thousands in their cars, to guys like me who are on a budget and do what we can to make the car look good. They don't price the events out of the market and for 25 or 30 bucks you can spend a day looking at some nice rides, browse the for sale cars and have a few beers. If they could figure out a way to do that and keep it in a decent price range, I would be happy to make the trek to Denver and use it as a nice weekend someplace I have been wanting to do anyway. Again, One man's opinion, take it for what it is worth. The other idea is to do smaller regional events. For instance, do a West Coast event, maybe a Mid West and a Southern. Then, at a designated time, do a national type outing for those who have the cash.

I respectfully disagree with that. The way it is now? Yes, that is correct. But, and I will go back to the Good Guys Hot Rod shows in my area, if they scale it down or at least try ad scale down the event location and make it a more affordable weekend, I think they will see many more of the "average joe" types of brewers. For the Good Guys, you get ranges between the all out hot rod guys who spend thousands if not tens of thousands in their cars, to guys like me who are on a budget and do what we can to make the car look good. They don't price the events out of the market and for 25 or 30 bucks you can spend a day looking at some nice rides, browse the for sale cars and have a few beers. If they could figure out a way to do that and keep it in a decent price range, I would be happy to make the trek to Denver and use it as a nice weekend someplace I have been wanting to do anyway. Again, One man's opinion, take it for what it is worth. The other idea is to do smaller regional events. For instance, do a West Coast event, maybe a Mid West and a Southern. Then, at a designated time, do a national type outing for those who have the cash.
100%, but as you explain here, you’re talking major changes to get it there. It won’t happen unfortunately.

Getting ~3 or 4% of AHA membership to come to HBC I think is quite typical. And due to realities of cost, distances, etc., it's going to be the domain of those who have the time to take off from work/family and the money to go. It's probably not much different from putting on a centralized gathering for any other membership group, be it trade/professional associations, shareholder meetings, etc. Only a small percentage will have the time, money and ambition to go.

I just don't know of any way for them to make the event more easily accessible or budget-friendly. I'd like to see the economy of scale of it linking with GABF result in some downward pressure on costs for members, but I wouldn't count on it. The fixed costs will be shared, but the market realities will be that X number of people willing to pay Y dollars to do it. As mentioned before, it will become the go-to for a thousand or so diehard members. That might be the size it simmers down to.

I do think AHA has done a good job in attracting new brewers, and encouraging their development in the hobby. AHA's content--both online and in Zymurgy--has targeted newbies quite well. But the HBC is no doubt a capstone thing for those with the resources to go.

I was at the Pittsburgh Con last year and San Diego this year and I can tell you that the vendor portion was way better in Pittsburgh. There were more vendors and they gave away more/better stuff last year, compared to this year.

Yakima was giving away 8oz cans of hops all 3 days to whomever wanted them, this year you had to practically beg them for a couple ounces of CTZ or Cashmere hops.
Talking the YVH folks after the first day in Pittsburgh, I know they weren't going to be giving away hops like that again... they hoped what they brought would last the entire con, and they were mostly gone in the first few hours.

My first reaction to the news of combining Homebrew Con with GABF was "Forget that". I'm not very interested in attending GABF with that many people, I want to be able to make a connection with people that have a strong interest in the same hobby as me. I attended Providence in 2019 and brought along a friend who enjoys craft beer and would sometime help me brew. We had a blast, I was able to meet a bunch of other area homebrewers at their club booths and that experience is what finally got me to join a local club.

I avoid most of the beer fests in the area and seek out the ones that I can drink homebrew, pour homebrew, or are more niche like NERAX (real ale fest). Those unique experiences plus the New England Homebrew Jamboree (think club night with camping) are what I look forward to at this point. I was hopeful that HBC would come back to the east coast in 2024 and that I would get a club member or two to do a road trip with me.

I am hopeful that maybe, just maybe, the exposure at GABF might pull some more people into the HBC event and that maybe it will take to moving around again in the future.

I hope so. I think one of the difficulties with the change is adding another event to GABF will put upward price pressure on hotel rooms and on airline fares. I'm extremely doubtful I would attend and I know a number of my friends would be in the same posture. I do not believe this was well thought out.

My first reaction to the news of combining Homebrew Con with GABF was "Forget that". I'm not very interested in attending GABF with that many people, I want to be able to make a connection with people that have a strong interest in the same hobby as me. I attended Providence in 2019 and brought along a friend who enjoys craft beer and would sometime help me brew. We had a blast, I was able to meet a bunch of other area homebrewers at their club booths and that experience is what finally got me to join a local club.

I avoid most of the beer fests in the area and seek out the ones that I can drink homebrew, pour homebrew, or are more niche like NERAX (real ale fest). Those unique experiences plus the New England Homebrew Jamboree (think club night with camping) are what I look forward to at this point. I was hopeful that HBC would come back to the east coast in 2024 and that I would get a club member or two to do a road trip with me.

I am hopeful that maybe, just maybe, the exposure at GABF might pull some more people into the HBC event and that maybe it will take to moving around again in the future.
Integration with GABF certainly deletes out the typical Thursday night commercial pouring portion of HBC, which for a long time was called "pro night" to differentiate it from the Friday Club Night. I'm assuming most attendees would have a GABF session to replace that. I'm very curious which portions of the typical HBC festivities are going to be kept intact.

I hope so. I think one of the difficulties with the change is adding another event to GABF will put upward price pressure on hotel rooms and on airline fares. I'm extremely doubtful I would attend and I know a number of my friends would be in the same posture. I do not believe this was well thought out.
My club had about 20 members make the trip to San Diego this year and the consensus was we aren't going anymore if it is connected to GABF. I will be interested to see what attendance looks like next year.

I have attended four HomeBrewCons but unfortunately was unable to attend this year's due to a family committment. It sounds like I didn't miss much .

I have read this thread over the past week and all the good, constructive criticism. In particular from @Bobby_M. I was involved with some of the largest world-class trade shows over my 39 years in the Aerospace industry and it's amazing how many parallels there are with the home brewing community. Any profession/hobby has to change to move with the times, otherwise it will stagnate & die a slow death. I think a lot of people just wonder why HBC cant just replicate the previous year's event but in a different location. We all had great times in Minneapolis, Portland or Pittsburgh but the writing was on the wall. We were all paying a lot of money for less content and vendor participation. Things had to change.

At the past HBC events the AHA circulated a comprehensive survey and I am one who spent a considerable amount of time providing feedback on the highs and lows of the show. I even sent an email to Julia Herz summarizing my thoughts after last year's show.. I am guessing, and hoping, that the AHA, under presure to improve the ROI from the BA looked at their options and at least considered the feedback from the previous events from people like me who took time to provide constructive criticism.

I was disappointed to see that the AHA has decided to combine the event with the GABF - at least for 2024, but understand their reasons. The two communities are completely different and I do not see a lot of synergy there - except we all love beer! I think the best case moving forward is to have annual regional events where the homebrew clubs can have the opportunity to pour their own beer and meet other area brewers. This could be scheduled to coincide with the regional NHC judging and the regional winners announced. It could also be an opportunity for regional suppliers and Homebrew stores to exhibit - but not on the same scale as HBC. Other national suppliers - the MoreBeers and Blichmann's of the world could also choose to support the regional events - or not!

When it comes down to it, I ask myself what I have got from attending HomeBrewCons. the answer is:
#1 Camaraderie and friendship with other brewers - more often than not brewers local to my state(s).
#2 The trade show and being able to have one on one conversations with the likes of John Blichmann, Randy Mosher, Denny Conn, Brad Smith and others
#3 a lot of swag!

Hang in there and I hope to meet you at HBC 2024!

Paul

FWIW, a major software vendor in the industry I work in just extended "early bird" registration for their conference by a month. I'm not particularly interested in going and got a firm no from someone on my team, one "if it works out", and one yes. A friend who also is a user of their product told me today he has no interest in going anytime soon. Another vendor combined two of their conferences into one for this year.

I'm just spitballing here but my suggestion would be for the AHA to create several regional Homebrew Con's the way sports leagues divide themselves into conferences or divisions. There could be a Homebrew Con East and Homebrew Con West and possibly even a Great Lakes division, South East, North West, South West.

Holding two or more smaller events each year in different parts of the country would mean lower travel costs and I imagine larger attendance overall.

I'm just spitballing here but my suggestion would be for the AHA to create several regional Homebrew Con's the way sports leagues divide themselves into conferences or divisions. There could be a Homebrew Con East and Homebrew Con West and possibly even a Great Lakes division, South East, North West, South West.

Holding two or more smaller events each year in different parts of the country would mean lower travel costs and I imagine larger attendance overall.
I like the suggestion, but the problem is with the National suppliers. It is very expensive for these guys to attend shows and they would have to attend all of them to capture the user base. From MoreBeer to Spike, Muntons or smaller manufacturers like Tilt or Plaato, I have engaged with their reps at HomeBrewCon, have learned a lot about their offerings, and am more likely to buy from them because of it. That is the purpose of a trade show - to educate and capture sales.

Paul

I like the suggestion, but the problem is with the National suppliers. It is very expensive for these guys to attend shows and they would have to attend all of them to capture the user base. From MoreBeer to Spike, Muntons or smaller manufacturers like Tilt or Plaato, I have engaged with their reps at HomeBrewCon, have learned a lot about their offerings, and am more likely to buy from them because of it. That is the purpose of a trade show - to educate and capture sales.

Paul
And that is one of the problems I have with the AHA being run by the Brewer's Association. I feel like they have a history of treating homebrewers as consumers of the various industries they represent rather than being pure advocates for homebrewing (see the annual Zymurgy survey of best commercial beers, for example). If HomebrewCon is mostly a trade show then I definitely don't want to attend. I want to hang out with homebrewers and drink homebrew and talk about homebrewing. I have only attended Philadelphia and Providence and found it hard to justify the cost (and that was without a flight!). I get more out of my homebrew club meetings. And I'm finally going to try to attend the New England Homebrew Jamboree this year, which I think like the model that a number of people have proposed.

I wonder how HomebrewCon attendance tracks compared to state/regional cons and the more "topical" meet ups like Funk Fest.

I also wonder what effect the explosion of online resources has had on the need for large in-person events.

And I'm finally going to try to attend the New England Homebrew Jamboree this year, which I think like the model that a number of people have proposed.
I never even heard of this event and I was surprised to see it's been going on for 25 years. I would definitely be more inclined to check this out going forward.

And I'm finally going to try to attend the New England Homebrew Jamboree this year, which I think like the model that a number of people have proposed.
Yes! Stop by the Knights of the Mashing Fork tent and say Hi.
I'm planning on bringing at least one real ale in a cask to be served with a beer engine. Last year's event was my first one and it was a blast.

These are the types of events that I'll direct my energy toward supporting.

And for those in the mid-Atlantic area, there is a similar event, the Mid-Atlantic States Homebrew campOUT (MASHOUT). The dates are August 17-20, 2023 in Cumberland MD (so pretty close to areas of VA, MD, DC, WV, PA, and OH). I have been maybe 8 times over the years. It a fun event with lots of homebrew, food, and events. I have 10 gallon of beer ready to keg that I brewed to take along.

https://mashout.ticketspice.com/mashout

Reading the thread on the AHA forum about the BA/AHA changes and then this, it doesn't seem like a bright future for the AHA. BA is happy to keep the competition, which is a profitable venture, and pass the rest of the convention off as a GABF booth. Wouldn't be surprised to see HBC reduced to a GABF booth or a single tack-on day to GABF. The AHA response in the thread on their forum essentially ignores feedback from everybody to talk about how great the AHA is.

... via a parallel topic over in /r/homebrewing (link).

1707945731597.png

AHA Committee members are listed here (link).

Lot of chatter on FB regarding AHA/BA decision to gut Homebrew Con this year. Annie Johnson quit her position on the governing committee and had a lot of say about the CEO and his cronies regarding them wanting to completely drop the AHA. I have faith Homebrew Con comes back next year, but if I had to put money on it, would bet that we would never see it again. And if the AHA goes, so does the National comp.

Lot of chatter on FB regarding AHA/BA decision to gut Homebrew Con this year. Annie Johnson quit her position on the governing committee and had a lot of say about the CEO and his cronies regarding them wanting to completely drop the AHA. I have faith Homebrew Con comes back next year, but if I had to put money on it, would bet that we would never see it again. And if the AHA goes, so does the National comp.
Screenshot_20240214_181751_Chrome.jpg

Back