Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowsa, it's been awhile but things are progressing well with the brewery. We purchased a steam heated, fully automated pilot system with cellaring for the brewery that should hold us for the next year or so in very limited production. Our licensing is still slowly progressing although TTB process hasn't moved in two months. our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benoit-Casper-Brewing/272708736225142 if you'd like to check out what we are up to!

Cheers!

Truly an AMAZING build my friend... this pic took me by surprise for sure. Whoa.
Just jaw dropping...

Keep up the good work!

Btw - Still patiently waiting for the invite to come slobber - er - I mean come and visit your hard work...

This is the craziest home brewery build I have seen. Nice job!

I was doing my best to read through the whole 77 pages of information, so much good information. Did you ever get the permits and other requirements completed so you could legally sell it from your home?

This is the craziest home brewery build I have seen. Nice job!

I was doing my best to read through the whole 77 pages of information, so much good information. Did you ever get the permits and other requirements completed so you could legally sell it from your home?

No, doesn't look favorable in R1 zoning with the TTB although I believe in CA there is new legislation that may help. I went a different route and ended up with a partner in the venture and a commercial warehouse facility. The licensing is still in progress but moving along, we should be legal in the next few months.

Some pics from the inaugural brew day on the stout rig ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551015.127380.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551037.187286.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551052.118319.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551070.521428.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551088.506309.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551104.154119.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551129.325433.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551150.320807.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551167.968160.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1415551191.370264.jpg

Marc,

Awesome pix. What stout did you brew and why Pils for the base? I love mashing in and having my arm hairs coated like the pix above!! Cheers bro!

T

Marc,

Awesome pix. What stout did you brew and why Pils for the base? I love mashing in and having my arm hairs coated like the pix above!! Cheers bro!

T

Stout tanks and kettles provided the equipment, the beer was a Belgian blonde and it will be tasty!

No, doesn't look favorable in R1 zoning with the TTB although I believe in CA there is new legislation that may help. I went a different route and ended up with a partner in the venture and a commercial warehouse facility. The licensing is still in progress but moving along, we should be legal in the next few months.

appreciate the response... good luck on your commercial brewing!

TTB approval in! Filed with the ABC today, local is already in process and paid just awaiting final fire inspection! I love it when a plan comes together....

TTB approval in! Filed with the ABC today, local is already in process and paid just awaiting final fire inspection! I love it when a plan comes together....

Congratulation!
Texas is waiting for your beers.

Thanks Everyone! I think we should be wrapped up and legal to sell in February if all goes well, shipping to another state without distribution, should be interesting.

The business plan right now is to do the opposite of everyone else and spend the next couple of years with a few local keg accounts while bottling to give away free samples and participate in international beer competitions. Most breweries at this scale quickly get over their head in distribution woes which typically results in quality issues. Stone, you and Claudius will definitely get preview and sample beers as soon as I can legally ship them in exchange for tasting notes and continuing collaboration with good peeps!

Well as a certified, ahem, beer consultant on your payroll (yeah, I get paid in beer!) I believe we are not talking about distribution as I, being a paid employee (in beer...did I say you can pay me beer yet?) am performing quality control experiments on our product in order to verify that there are no impurities, off flavors, or (gasp!) lack of alcohol in the finished product. Damn, I need to get paid!! (TIC)

marcb, best of luck and I am elated to see you living your (okay, mine...) dream hoss!!!!

Cheers!

Well as a certified, ahem, beer consultant on your payroll (yeah, I get paid in beer!) I believe we are not talking about distribution as I, being a paid employee (in beer...did I say you can pay me beer yet?) am performing quality control experiments on our product in order to verify that there are no impurities, off flavors, or (gasp!) lack of alcohol in the finished product. Damn, I need to get paid!! (TIC)

marcb, best of luck and I am elated to see you living your (okay, mine...) dream hoss!!!!

Cheers!

Nice! Careful, I started off doing some similar beer consulting a few short years ago ; )

Shipping kegs and bottles interstate is tricky business and everybody wants their cut, hence why distribution is so attractive. For me I need to be able to pay the appropriate taxes for fed and state basis to ensure that I'm compliant. It may be more feasible to ship 20l kegs to you guys rather than bottles!

Rest assured the ABC got the rest of their paperwork today and we are on track to get this done!

I'm really looking forward to getting the production system going probably looking at sometime in February! Then the system that started this whole thread will go up on probrewer!

This has been an awesome journey and I am really excited at the next chapter!

Looks like the Authentic Trappist Product logo.

Lol, I had To go look that up. You are right! No wonder I liked that over the others the art guy came up with. It certainly fits! We're introducing some of our beers to the local Jesuit priests at the mission in a few weeks.

i was wondering, with your new space, will you be incorporating a taproom?

Not initially, for the next year we are going to focus on production only and keep a very short list of keg accounts. We can actually leverage our ABC license to have multiple locations and are thinking that we will also open a taproom in the future. We will also begin competing at the pro level this year and will be learning the ropes along the way.

marc,

How many different brews are you thinking about doing? Standard fare or anything special in mind? I am guessing an abbey ale, your IIPA, a saison, a pale to start? Thinking of a barrel or sour program down the road? Heading your way in May so will try to fly up from San Diego if I can fit it into the schedule. Would love to do some quality assurance testing...:D

PS - the van is sweet but needs your logo ablaze on the side!

marc,

How many different brews are you thinking about doing? Standard fare or anything special in mind? I am guessing an abbey ale, your IIPA, a saison, a pale to start? Thinking of a barrel or sour program down the road? Heading your way in May so will try to fly up from San Diego if I can fit it into the schedule. Would love to do some quality assurance testing...:D

PS - the van is sweet but needs your logo ablaze on the side!

You nailed the four primary beers, our website has some additional styles as specials/seasonals

https://www.bcbrewing.com/beers/

Let me know your plans, we can coordinate a tour and maybe even pull off a brew in Richmond or at the casa. You know I'm already working on pimping out the four day old van, right?

web page looks good.

why don't you list the types of hops and malts used?

We probably will when we get to production or make a Brewers 'cook book' or separate section of the site for beer geeks... I'm thinking about hiding an Easter egg with all of our recipes for home brewers on the site. Right now there is a lot of variance between batches of the same beer as we are scaling, experimenting and refining. A majority of our brewing over the next 1-2 years will be geared towards competition with a lucky few accounts locally getting to resell the beer. We will not be jumping into distribution and will take our time getting it right before we start producing at distribution volumes.

We are thrilled to announce the launch of our new website http://www.bcbrewing.com/ We worked with local design company JL Design & Development that really did an amazing job! It now has an integrated storefront and BC Brewing swag is in stock including Tshirts, Workshirts and Glassware! Check it out!

Really nice website and the beer list looks tasty! Sad no session ales :(

Please give us some production details. You said a few keg accounts to start? About how many? How many 1/2 and/1/6 barrels per week are you planning for each? how many batches a week are you planning for, to start?

marc & chad,

Just checked out the website and it is a work of art! Want to drink that home page, dudes!!! I continue to be impressed with where you guys are going! You guys are truly living the dream that a lot of us (not so) secretly dream about!! I REALLY look forward to having a BC brew in front of me some day soon!!

Cheers!
Tony

marc & chad,

Just checked out the website and it is a work of art! Want to drink that home page, dudes!!! I continue to be impressed with where you guys are going! You guys are truly living the dream that a lot of us (not so) secretly dream about!! I REALLY look forward to having a BC brew in front of me some day soon!!

Cheers!

Tony

Soon enough buddy! Thanks for the kind words.

Just saw the lineup for the Bay Are Brew Fest this weekend and noticed you were on there!! Congrats buddy!! That is great to hear... best of luck!!!

Wish I could go - I am working the BrewNetwork Beer Festival this weekend instead. Looking forward to tasting your goodness!!

Just saw the lineup for the Bay Are Brew Fest this weekend and noticed you were on there!! Congrats buddy!! That is great to hear... best of luck!!!

Wish I could go - I am working the BrewNetwork Beer Festival this weekend instead. Looking forward to tasting your goodness!!

Yes indeed, sort of our public debut!
Pretty exciting to be fully licensed and out of the planning stage! Still lots to figure out but we are having a blast....

Back