Home grown hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NScooknet

Reaction score
I just received some hop seeds that I purchased online from the UK, and I'm wondering about how they will taste in my beer as they are simply labeled "common hops".

The species name is shown as "Humulus Lupulus".

The online description of the hops didn't say anything about what "specific" species they were, only that they were good "potent" hops and that not many were needed to make good home brew.

So, what kind of hops are these really? How will they taste in my home brew do you think??

BTW, does anyone here know where to buy hop seeds online? I'd like to grow a few different types this summer if possible.

I'm in Canada, but will purchase from anywhere.

Thanks!
Chris :)

Just be careful to not let the male plants mature or you might ruin the crop for yourself and everybody else nearby.

Hops are typically purchased as rhizomes/crowns or plants. The problem with seeds is that they can grow either male or female plants, and only female plants produce the cones needed for brewing.

I would email the folks you purchased these seeds from and see just what variety of hops they are.

There's also plenty of places to purchase hops plants/rhizomes within Canada. I suggest a visit to the "Hops Growing" section of HBT.

Just be careful to not let the male plants mature or you might ruin the crop for yourself and everybody else nearby.

How do you know if they are male plants?

Should I plant a bunch of seeds then kill the males as soon as I can identify them?

Hops are typically purchased as rhizomes/crowns or plants. The problem with seeds is that they can grow either male or female plants, and only female plants produce the cones needed for brewing.

I would email the folks you purchased these seeds from and see just what variety of hops they are.

There's also plenty of places to purchase hops plants/rhizomes within Canada. I suggest a visit to the "Hops Growing" section of HBT.

Crap, I missed the hops section, sorry for posting in the wrong thread!!

Look for pictures of the male and female flowers online. The male flowers should be longer and will have stamens. If the female flowers get pollinated they'll lose any use for brewing. I don't know about killing them, just move them inside or something, so they aren't visited by bees.

Look for pictures of the male and female flowers online. The male flowers should be longer and will have stamens. If the female flowers get pollinated they'll lose any use for brewing. I don't know about killing them, just move them inside or something, so they aren't visited by bees.

I planned on planting them right in the ground so I can't really move them inside.

What is the use of them if the males are so problematic? Why NOT just kill the males??

I was going to start them inside in peat pucks, then move them outside once the weather gets warm enough, but I'm sure they won't flower until long after planted outdoors.

I tried to find rhizomes here in Canada but could not find anyone selling them, so I bought what I could find, some seeds.

Does anyone know of a place that is in Canada or even better here in Nova Scotia where I live where I could buy the rhizomes??

Thanks!

Definitely kill any males that germinate.
Hops are wind-pollinated. I wouldn't take any chances by growing them in the house.

Better yet, I'd burn those seeds and order some rhizomes.

EDIT: Here's a link to a vendor in OR that ships internationally. I ordered from them this year. Fast, friendly, and rhizomes were healthy upon arrival.

http://freshops.com/order/international

Definitely forget the seeds and order Rhizomes as other posters suggested. This will be my 3rd year for Cascade hops and they grow like crazy! You don't want any males.

I've gotten a pound or two from two hop vines.

You'd be better off grabbing some full crowns from Great Lakes Hops, if you're looking for a crop that is. From seed I'd imagine you're 3 years from a decent harvest, 2 with Rhizomes.

You'd be better off grabbing some full crowns from Great Lakes Hops, if you're looking for a crop that is. From seed I'd imagine you're 3 years from a decent harvest, 2 with Rhizomes.

Thanks all, I didn't realize it would take so long to produce anything.

I'll look into the Rhizomes and plant the seeds indoors for an experiment/decoration...OL

Back