Home Brewing Tattoo???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpass00

Reaction score
Ok. First of all some of you might laugh at this post but let me say I am serious. A buddy of mine that is a tattoo artist in Daytona Beach Fla. is coming home for the holidays. I was talking to him about getting a tattoo done while he is in town. He asked me what I thought I might want done and the first thing that came to mind was to make it some kind of home brewing theme. Well this is where you guys come in. I don't want to just get some brewery logo inked on me. I want to come up with a unique home brewing idea. I need some ideas. I want to make it some kind of evil bio mechanical design. I want something really cool. maybe include a mash tun, a car boy, etc.. So if you think you can help let me know.

I need ideas all are welcome. Just don't post that tattoos are stupid and I might die from hepatitis. I don't want to hear it. I might even be willing to pay if someone came to me with a cool sketch or something.

I don't know man, be careful about tattoos...really easy to get AIDS that way. :D

Seriously though, I think hop cones on the bines with an integrated stein and/or barrel would be pretty cool. I can see a foaming stein with a hop bine wrapped around it and cones hanging off...maybe thow in some barley in there too.

i think it would be cool to do something like this but instead of the mechanics theme have a brew rig incorporated with it.
halfsleevetatt3.jpg

everyone on this site that's gotten a brew related tattoo has a been a hop cone. There's more to beer than hops!

Here's your tattoo, Alter color's as desired :D
yeast_elecmicro2_web.jpg

how about Gambrinus he's like the king of beer. Or maybe the gnome from the chofe lables or you could get a pink elephant.

Hay Chad that's pretty neat. thank you. I would be interested in what else you can come up with. I would make it worth your time. Do you think you could do something like gumby showed on this post?

I really doubt it, I'm no artist. Just put that sketch together to brew up some ideas.

Nice one Chad! I had been thinking off and on about a homebrew themed tattoo (I have a similar thread here about that). Somethign along what Chad sketched would be great. My plan for the someday is a brew babe pinup with a mash paddle, some hop bines, barley, and (now) that exploding carboy.

i'm already 20% covered in ink...i really should think about a brewing tat at some point.

i've seen several. a big stein of beer...hops and barley floating around it.

just remember, its forever. are you sure you'll be brewing in 5 years?

as long as you're really sure you want it, go for it...once you have the design. :)

Gumbys Brew that's cool you are on the rite track.

yeah i really like the style of that tattoo and am actually going to get one done similar to it but with a mixer board and maybe a les paul guitar mixed in with it as well.

I second the pin-up holding the mash paddles. Maybe some hops/barley in some convenient places on her. Wish I had some sort of artistic talent :(

That or "RDWHAHB"...

Revvy, in the past, used a beer gnome avatar . It was pretty cool... I don't know where he found it, but perhaps he could post in here again.

I don't know man, be careful about tattoos...really easy to get AIDS that way...

all tattoo artists use clean equipment and use new needles every time. plus, they also sterlize the needles- many of them will even sterlize and open new needles right in front of you. have tattooes myself and the artist i go to will sterlize and open new needles right in front of me so i don't have to worry about deseases. ;)

i've also been thinking about another tattoe-- one related to homebrewing. :mug:

all tattoo artists use clean equipment and use new needles every time. plus, they also sterlize the needles- many of them will even sterlize and open new needles right in front of you. have tattooes myself and the artist i go to will sterlize and open new needles right in front of me so i don't have to worry about deseases. ;)

i've also been thinking about another tattoe-- one related to homebrewing. :mug:
While this is mostly true, it is not always the case.
There is more touching the ink than just a needle.
First you have ink caps. They are cheap and usually they will use new.
Then you have needle bars. These will usually have the needles already attached and autoclaved.
Then the one that is the most concern is the tubes. These can be made from several different materials. The plastic ones should be new and trashed after each use.(most do not use these). The SS ones, are nice, but can be a pain to clean. Without an ultrasonic cleaner, they suck to clean. Ans with the SS ones, there are spots that are soldered, giving nooks and crannies for ink/blood to hide.
That being said, I have tattoos all over, and will get more.
Hell, I used to tattoo for a living.
Just pay attention, and make sure they are being as sanitary as possible.
Ask them to open everything in front of you. Ask them about there sterilization procedures. A reputable place will be proud of their cleanliness.
If in doubt, walk away.

I'd say a carboy with a racking cane sticking out of it... you know at an angle from one side to the other. Maybe with a hose going around the carboy from the cane then RDWHAHB under it.

My brew wizard. The wizard was one of my first tattoos, all grey/black, about 13 years ago. Had the whole thing re-done at the beginning of this summer. You can't make them out so well, but inside the "spell" he is casting are four "runes" I made up representing hops, water, barley and yeast.

tattoo.jpg

Heh.. I was wondering if there was a homebrewing tattoo thread on here.

I was looking for a drawing of a rune for "barley" and wasn't able to find anything...

Another thought I had was something like the bound grain on the cover of the Traffic "John Barleycorn Must Die" album.

My basic idea was a simple black line drawing representing barley and hops, and something that would represent the natural elements (water and yeast). Something not just limited to homebrewing, but my love of beer and the art and science of brewing in general. :)

Latest posts

Back