Home brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
So I had a little family birthday party yesterday and proudly served my double IPA (my own recipe) and it was a hit. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427157556.441460.jpgthis one, now everyone wants to know the next time i brew so they can learn the art. Some questions i had were "does the color have anything to do with the strength (abv)? Because my IPA was light in color (9 cara malt) one person questioned how i got it pretty strong (my abv was 6.65) or around there, not really that strong if u ask me. I explained that color has nothing to do with the strength of a beer, its what you put into it that determines the strength. Myself i like my beers light in color so i choose Pilsen light DME and low lovibond grains. Am i right in my explanation about color vs. strength? I don't want to give false info. I stated its the amount of grains and DME used that gives it your desired ABV, correct?

My answer is always, I can make a Bud Light pitch black, but if I want to make a Bud Light knock you on your butt, I have to add alcohol. You are correct in that color means nothing when it comes to "strength". It may apply in BJCP categories that imply other factors, but by itself, it's not a factor.

And congrats on your IPA being well received!

You are right, good job bringing people into the hobby!

Have them try a Trippel- light colored and will knock you on your bum. On the other hand, Stout can be a great session beer :mug:

Back