Holy Hefe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy1979

Reaction score
I just started a Bavarian Hefeweisen. Pitched it less than 24 hours ago and it is bubbling foam out of the air lock. I resanitized the airlock and moved it into a cooler room...about 60 degrees...any other ideas or suggestions? I don't think this is an issue but its a first for me...thanks!

It's the yeast strain. It's a potent one. Try a blow-off if it continues at that level of fermentation. I would guess you probably already hit the peak of it. It's only risen that high at one point each time I've used it.

Hefe yeasts are the most vigorous fermenters I've seen so I always use blowoffs with them. Otherwise my closet will get coated with krausen.

I'd have left it where it was & put a blow off on it. you want the slighly higher temps to produce those banana esters hefe's are known for.

The temp inside the fermenting bucket is at 72 right now...is that good or does it need to be warmer?

72 is as warm as you want to go. I ferment Hefes (Wheihenstephan yeast) at 68 degrees.

Sanitize and cover your carboy with some loose fitting tinfoil untill all signs of blowoff have subsided, then re-sanitize and re-install your airlock.

SOAPBOX TIME - ALWAYS use a blowoff. Period. Once the krausen starts to fall you can put on a regular airlock. There is simply no reason not to use a blowoff every time.

Pez.

I am using the 6.5 gallon bucket as the primary fermenter. What else can I use on this case?

Back