Holidays coming up, I'm not alone in wanting to share my beer. Help me fill growlers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
I've got a kegerator setup utilizing Perlick 630SS taps, and I've got a growler filler insert and tubing for it.

But it always makes a huge mess and I feel like the beer is a bit flatter when I'm serving it.

What are the tips and tricks here? Add more carbonation a week before filling growlers? Chill the growlers? Pour more slowly, or more quickly? I'd love to learn how to do this the best possible way. THANKS!

Definitely chilled but not frosted growler, and it helps to slip a length of tubing over the faucet spout extending to the bottom of the growler. If you usually get a stellar pour, that should get you pretty close.

Beyond that, don't jack up the carbonation, that'll just piss off the beer ;)
If anything, briefly dropping the dispensing (and keg head space) pressure can help...

Cheers!

You could also pressurize your growler post fill using one of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010RYRESO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

to help you maintain carb in transit.

Except that those are made for 2 liter PET (soda) bottles, not glass growlers.

I fill bottles and growlers from my kegs all of the time. It's really easy. You say you have the filler attachment and tubing, so all you need is to make the tubing long enough to reach the bottom of the growler. Turn your regulator down to about 3psi and vent your keg all the way down to that same pressure. Then pour as usual. Getting the growler and tubing as cold as possible before pouring will help keep foam in check. You'll still get some foam, but not much. It actually helps as you want to cap on foam to keep as much O2 out as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back