Holiday Spice beer addition amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
I know it has been asked a bunch of times and I have scanned thorough a lot of the posts about the topic but wanted to make sure I wasn't off the mark with these amounts. These will go In the last five minutes of a amber ale.

1 tsp ginger (ground)
1 tsp nutmeg(ground)
1 tsp clove (ground)
1 tsp all spice (crushed)
2 cinnamon sticks.

Less is more. Each, on their own thats not too much, but all and all thats alot. (Then again holiday spice soup beers seem popular) Spices also vary a lot by freshness and quality, and weather they are pre-ground or you are grinding them yourself. Id show restraint, too little spice is better than too much spice; the base beer should stand on its own.

This comes down to personal preference so I think you're going to get a lot of differing opinions, but I agree with giraffe on this one. 1.5-2 tsp per 5 gal is about my limit for spiced beers. You can always add more but you can't take it out.

I use the same scale I use for water and hop measurements. In my Christmas Beer/Winter Warm I just did, went with 2 medium cinnamon sticks (~1.75 grams was what it worked out to), and then 1 gram each of allspice, nutmeg, and clove (I didn't use ginger). Past spice beers have been overspiced, but this seems right on the money. I don't know how tsp/Tbps equates to grams, but a gram-ish each would be my recommendation.

Thanks so much! I will dial them all back a bit. Rather play it nice and subtle on this first go around. Thanks again!

Back