hole in regulator body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So how the heck does a regulator end up with a pin sized hole in the back of the brass body?! Anyone know if some jb weld will seal it properly?

Probably be worth it to just buy a new one bro...even if it works initially, how long will it last?

Can't really get a pic.. the hole is so small you can't see it on a pic. Only know its there because you can feel air coming out and you can tell when you spray it down with star san. I know I should just replace it but the jb cost 7 bucks. Might be worth a try.

Yeah, but if that "hole" is on the high pressure side, ur talking 500-800 psi depending on tank temp...not worth having it fail all together, imo

I would suggest you contact the folks @ Keg Connections before you put JB Weld on it or attempt to make any repair to your regulator. I formerly worked for a regulator manufacturer, and most non industrial regulator bodies are cast as opposed to being machined from brass stock. Casting can have voids that can fail at first assembly or after some regular use, which it sounds what happened in you situation. If it's a casting defect their manufacturer/supplier should take care of it.

Ah very good point. I actually tried to call them today and left message. They might not have weekend hours for customer service I suppose. From what I can tell the leak is coming from one of the letters stamped on the back.

Bummer though... I was trying to keg a batch that I have just enough time to get ready for Christmas eve. Dangit

That sound like a defect to me. I know how I would have handled it, let us know how KC does. Keep us posted please.

So since I'm impatient and given the reg wasn't a high price unit anyway I decided to try the jb weld. Epic fail! I called keg connection and explained the issue and admitted that I had tried to repair it myself. They said no worries... Mail it back to them and they will repair or replace free of charge. Good stuff!

So since I'm impatient and given the reg wasn't a high price unit anyway I decided to try the jb weld. Epic fail! I called keg connection and explained the issue and admitted that I had tried to repair it myself. They said no worries... Mail it back to them and they will repair or replace free of charge. Good stuff!

This is an example of excellent customer service. Glad to hear they did the right thing! We should all take note and when considering our next keg related purchase, sounds like you can buy with piece of mind from the folks @ Keg Connections.

So just an update here. After a couple weeks I hadn't heard anything from them so I called to check the status. Apparently there was a mix up and the regulator hadn't shipped to me as planned. They did promise today or tomorrow a brand new reg will be on its way to me. Can't complain about that!

Back