Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Being a bit bored yesterday morning, I thought, what the heck. Let's see how all the parts go together. So, I took off the spigot of my 10 gallon rectangular cooler, and put the mini keg bung in as was in the directions I got off the web. Seems the mini keg bung is a bit loose, but what the heck. So, I feed the hose thru thinking that might put a bit of pressure on the bung and give it a bit more seal. Of course, the hose being somewhat rigid, when I moved it, the rubber bung came out of the hole. Now, I get it to where I think I got a pretty good seal and pour some water from the garen hose into the cooler. Looks good. Until I moved the hose in the cooler and then I got a small pin leak between the rubber and the cooler. Darn it. So, off the Amazon I go to find food grade sealer. My plan is to run a nice bead around the rubber bung, push it in the hole and then throw some tape on it so it stays until dry. I am also going to go from the outside and try and fill the hole with sealer there too. My hope is that this will seal when dry and I can use my new "equipment" next weekend. But, who knows. Most of the time nothing goes as planned. LOL. Rock On!!!!!! RR

While you can seal up the hole with food grade sealant, keep in mind the parts will contract slightly with heat so you'll need to test your seal at both faucet temperature and at whatever the hottest you go for sparging. I would dry everything out beforehand and seal it from both front and back.

Just curious.. Why a plastic bung instead of a stainless bulkhead?

While you can seal up the hole with food grade sealant, keep in mind the parts will contract slightly with heat so you'll need to test your seal at both faucet temperature and at whatever the hottest you go for sparging. I would dry everything out beforehand and seal it from both front and back.
That was exactly what I was planning on doing. I figure there would be some changes in the way everything sealed with hotter water. Plus, with the grain on it that might change things around as well. If need be, I will buy a ball valve and nuts and washers to really seal things up, but for now, I am going to give the sealant a try. I am learning as I go, so all input is welcomed. RR

OK, so I thought I would give my new cooler mash tun a quick test. I put 155 degree water into it. It lost about 10 degrees right off the bat due to it being cold and the water being hot. OK, no problem, just heat my mash water about 10 to 15 degrees more and that should solve that problem. 10 degrees for the cooler and another 5 or so for the grain absorption, right? Sure, that sounds good. Well, the 145 degree water has been in the cooler for about 45 mins, and I have not opened up the lid. I go to measure it and I have now lost 10 more degree's. Damn, this is not working out the way it is supposed to. I honestly think I am really not meant to do this. So, what do I do, add another 5 to 10 degrees to my mash temp to offset for the temp loss? This is getting really frustrating. I was going to brew Saturday with my new setup, but now I think I might just can it all and go buy a 12 pack and give all this to my brother and let him have at it. Help!!!!!

Moderator's Note:
This post, and the following 2 answers to it, were originally posted in a 2nd thread on the same topic. These 3 posts were merged into the first thread (this one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have the mass of the grain in there it will do a better job of holding the temperature.
And the fuller the mash tun, the better it keeps the temp too.

OK, so I thought I would give my new cooler mash tun a quick test. [...]
As I mentioned in one of your previous threads, I found 1.5 quart of water per pound of grist is about the optimum, leaving enough for 2 batch sparges. YMMV.

If there's a large headspace left in the mash tun, take a piece of 1" styrofoam, cut to the shape and size to fit the inside of the mash tun. Stick this styrofoam inside a (food grade) plastic bag, so the wort and mash doesn't go inside the bag and touch the styrofoam. Lie this floating lid on top of your mash, after you've stirred it thoroughly. Then place the lid on the mash tun.

If the environment is cold, wrap a moving blanket or sleeping bag around the mash tun. Don't forget to cover the lid, and if you can, insulate the bottom too.

Last edited:
My apologies to all for what seemed to be a double post. I meant for one to be that I got it, and the newer one to be that I gave it a quick test. My title I guess was the same for both. Either way, I am sorry that I did not check and make sure. I will be more careful in the future.

And the fuller the mash tun, the better it keeps the temp too.

As I mentioned in one of your previous threads, I found 1.5 quart of water per pound of grist is about the optimum, leaving enough for 2 batch sparges. YMMV.

If there's a large headspace left in the mash tun, take a piece of 1" styrofoam, cut to the shape and size to fit the inside of the mash tun. Stick this styrofoam inside a (food grade) plastic bag, so the wort and mash doesn't go inside the bag and touch the styrofoam. Lie this floating lid on top of your mash, after you've stirred it thoroughly. Then place the lid on the mash tun.

If the environment is cold, wrap a moving blanket or sleeping bag around the mash tun. Don't forget to cover the lid, and if you can, insulate the bottom too.
Thank you for the suggestion regarding the Styrofoam, that could be a great idea. I have to see what I can find. As of now, my thought is to give it a go on Saturday. I will use it in the garage, so the temp will be a bit better. I have a blanket or two I can cover it with as well. My thought is, mash water temp somewhere around 165 to adjust for the 10 degree drop when I poured the water into the cooler and a 5 degree drop or so when I add the grains. My last BIAB the temp of the mash water did not change when I added the grains to it, so I am only doing to assume a small drop this time.

On a side note, the food grade silicone worked like a charm on the grommet to seal it up. I might have to add a ring of it around my hose coming out as I noticed that leaked a small amount when I moved it to turn the valve on to drain the water. Either way, this could be a really cool way for me to get a better efficiency from my mash than I got with my BIAB We shall see.

On a side note, the food grade silicone worked like a charm on the grommet to seal it up. I might have to add a ring of it around my hose coming out as I noticed that leaked a small amount when I moved it to turn the valve on to drain the water.
Any leaks at the bulkhead come from the inside, of course. That's where you want to caulk, making a positive seal.
Never caulk the outside of that bulkhead as it won't stop the leak on the inside and all the liquid seeping through won't have anywhere else to go but inside the cooler's wall.

My thought is, mash water temp somewhere around 165 to adjust for the 10 degree drop when I poured the water into the cooler and a 5 degree drop or so when I add the grains.
There are calculators that can estimate your strike water temperature quite well to arrive at your intended mash temp.
As I mentioned before, in the other thread, it's much easier and faster to drop 5-10 degrees than it is to raise the same amount.

You won't have to worry about the temp when batch sparging as long as it's not too high. Keep it at or under 170F. Reportedly, batch sparging with cold water works just as well, although I've never tried it or had the need or urge to test it.

Make sure your grain is milled finely enough (no grain bits larger than say, 3/32" diameter) for better and faster conversion. But not too fine. There could be some flour in it, but shouldn't look anything like a bucket full of fine flour. You should see lots of coarse husk material, it helps with drainage.

So, I took off the spigot of my 10 gallon rectangular cooler, and put the mini keg bung in as was in the directions I got off the web.
Can you link us to those directions? That's not a common mash tun drain installation. I doubt that bung is going to stay put and seal well, it may loosen up or even drop out at some very inopportune time...

Here's a collection of bulkhead fittings:
https://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=47
@Bobby_M from BrewHardware.com also has a variety of bulkhead fittings but I can't seem to find them on his site listed here:
https://www.brewhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bulkhead&Submit=Although I'm not familiar with your tun output spigot, you probably want something that resembles these:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadmale.htmor
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/vb2.htmA stainless 2-piece valve would typically go on the outside.

The mash tun side of a stainless bulkhead is visible in the pictures in this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-long-can-a-starter-last.703882/post-9339220You don't need the whole manifold I built, just anything that can keep the grain in tun while letting the wort run out will work fine, such as a braided hose, Bazooka tube, copper pipe with slots or drilled holes, etc.

Last edited:
Can you link us to those directions? That's not a common mash tun drain installation. I doubt that bung is going to stay put and seal well, it may loosen up or even drop out at some very inopportune time...

Here's a collection of bulkhead fittings:
https://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=47
@Bobby_M from BrewHardware.com also has a variety of bulkhead fittings but I can't seem to find them on his site listed here:
https://www.brewhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bulkhead&Submit=Although I'm not familiar with your tun output spigot, you probably want something that resembles these:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadmale.htmor
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/vb2.htmA stainless 2-piece valve would typically go on the outside.

The mash tun side of a stainless bulkhead is visible in the pictures in this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-long-can-a-starter-last.703882/post-9339220You don't need the whole manifold I built, just anything that can keep the grain in tun while letting the wort run out will work fine, such as a braided hose, Bazooka tube, copper pipe with slots or drilled holes, etc.
Here is what I used and where I found it. The guy who wrote it up, Denny, is a member of the American Homebrewers Association. They have a forum that I am part of as well. Great info there too. I go between here and there just to get as many opinions as I can. His Website is Dennybrew.com. He has been a really great provider of info for me. If this doesn't work, then I will look into what you posted. But for now, I have all the items and am going to give it a go. I bought everything I needed except the cooler on amazon for about 20 bucks. I found the cooler for 20 bucks used, so my output here has been about 50 bucks all told. I have a couple of extra bungs and valves just in case. Also, I used the food grade silicon. I found that when I adjusted the hose where it went thru it leaked just a small amount. I am going to run a bead around the hose where it goes thru the bung as well, that dropped a few drops of water too. But nothing significant. Rock on!!!!!

I apologise up front if using the following instructions from his website is a violation of any rule or policy of the forum. Please feel free to remove it and the web address if that is what is right.

Building the Mashtun

For the mashtun, you’ll need a cooler. I prefer the rectangular ones. The large top opening makes it easier to stir the mash than a round cooler does. Since grain bed depth makes practically no difference in batch sparging, one of the main reasons people use the round coolers is nullified. The rectangular ones are also cheaper. You’ll also need a rubber bung for a minikeg, some 1/2 inch ODx3/8 inch ID food grade vinyl tubing long enough to reach from whatever you set your cooler on to the bottom of your kettle PLUS 6 inches, an inline nylon valve, and a length of water supply line with a stainless steel braid for a jacket, and 3 hose clamps. The length of the water supply line doesn’t really matter. I use one that’s long enough to run the length of the cooler, but my experiments have shown that shorter ones seem to work as well. Feel free to substitute parts if you’d like something a little snazzier. The only really crucial piece of the whole setup is the stainless hose braid, so if you want to put a fancy ball valve or something else on your mashtun, go for it!
NOTE: The minikeg bung fits snugly into the hole left from removing the drain in most of the 48-54 qt. coolers I’ve checked. If the fit is loose, or you’re worried about leakage, apply some food grade silicone sealant on the flange before inserting the bung into the cooler. Be creative!

Step by Step

1.) Remove the spigot from the cooler. Usually, there’s a nut on the inside of the cooler holding the spigot on. Unscrew that and the spigot should pop right out.
2.) Remove the plastic insert from the hole in the minikeg bung, and insert the bung into the spigot hole, from the inside of the cooler. The beveled edge of the bung goes in first, and the flange of the bung should end up flush with the cooler wall.
3.) Cut off a 6 inch piece of the vinyl tubing and, from the inside of the cooler, insert it into the hole in the minikeg bung. Let a couple inches of tubing protrude from each side of the cooler.
4.) Cut the threaded fittings off the water supply line (I use a hatchet). Pull the tubing out from the braid, leaving you with a hollow length of hose braid. Flatten the last inch or so of one end of the braid. Fold it over on itself 3 times to seal the end. Squeeze the fold with a pair of pliers to crimp it closed.
5.) Slip a hose clamp over the end of the braid, and slip the braid over the end of the vinyl tubing INSIDE the cooler. Tighten the clamp until snug, but don’t squeeze the tubing shut! photos 2nd row #2 and #3
6.) Insert one end of the valve into the tubing on the outside of the cooler and secure it with a hose clamp. Slip another hose clamp over the end of the long piece of tubing, connect the tubing to the output side of the valve, and secure with the hose clamp.

That’s it! You’ve built your Cheap ‘n’ Easy mash/lauter tun! Now, let’s brew some beer!

Last edited:
I struggled to get the right mash temp for a while too. What works well for me, is add your strike water to the tun 15 or so degrees warmer than your your calculated strike water temp. Then let it sit until it drops to the calculated strike water temp. This pre-heats the cooler/tun so you don't have to factor in the temperature lost to that.

I struggled to get the right mash temp for a while too. What works well for me, is add your strike water to the tun 15 or so degrees warmer than your your calculated strike water temp. Then let it sit until it drops to the calculated strike water temp. This pre-heats the cooler/tun so you don't have to factor in the temperature lost to that.
Awesome suggestion. That could work out perfect. Thank you for that.

On the Coleman 48 qt coolers you can just slide a couple inches of hose, of appropriate size, through the built-in tap hole (bulkhead) and clamp a stainless braid onto it inside the cooler. The hose should be a little bigger than the hole so it seals. IIRC 3/8 ID 1/2 OD might work. Leave 2-3 ft of hose on the outside of the cooler to drain.

To operate, lift the hose outside the cooler above the mash level to stop the flow and lower the hose to drain.

Be sure to vorlauf several times before draining. These work best with a batch sparge method.

You really don't need bungs, spigots, washers, bulkheads, etc... unless of course that's what you want.

Cooler.png

Crap, why didn't I think of that. I could have saved myself a few bucks. FWIW a 1/2" OD hose slides right thru. It is a little tight, but seems to seal up really nice. I am going to try it this way as it seems to seal the cooler a bit better. Oh well, live and learn. Still going to use the valve and the hose, so I guess it wasn't a total waste. LOL>

Back