Hoegaarden shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
I wanted to make a Hoegaarden clone from a kit that I saw at my local HBS for a family camping trip in June. My question is if I make it now will it still be fresh come June, or should I wait a little closer to make it? Also If anyone knows of a good clone kit for this beer and have did it themselves and came out with good results I would love to know what one you used. I am very new to this and only have two brews under my belt and still are fermenting, one is an IPA which I have heard can loose flavor in as little as a month and the other is a American cream Ale. Thanks for any help.

There's not a hella lot going on in Hoegaarden, and aging it for six months will surely attenuate what little character there was to begin with.

Wheaties are best enjoyed quite fresh - fresher than your average pale or ipa.
Aging is contraindicated...

Cheers!

I'd say that, since wheat ales are meant to be drunk fresh, wait until the third week of April to brew it. It'l just be getting good by that date in June, imo.I also just thought a good name for it would be Wicked Garden, like the STP song...

I'd say that, since wheat ales are meant to be drunk fresh, wait until the third week of April to brew it. It'l just be getting good by that date in June, imo.I also just thought a good name for it would be Wicked Garden, like the STP song...

I like that name lol, thanks for the advice.

I'll wash that mouth out mister!

I appended 'IMO', which means I can say what I want! Right? lol

On a serious note I do find this to be true with MOST styles. Even IPAs. But that's probably because I'm in the minority who appreciates a balanced IPA instead of just putting in as much hops as possible.

This is also a Belgian style, not a Hefeweizen. The spice and orange will most likely take time to come through and blend. Probably drink it before 6 month mark though.

Wheat beers I like to drink 2.5 - 4 weeks from brew date. I find them to be exteremely quick turn around beers.

I do agree that with a Belgian Wit and Belgian yeast strain another 2 weeks added onto that schedule to allow some character to shine through.

Back