Hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wel adding another one to my list just ordered an airbrush which is something I've wanted to do for a while. finally found a air compressor for a good price at an estate sale allowing me to afford a entry level brush.

Wel adding another one to my list just ordered an airbrush which is something I've wanted to do for a while. finally found a air compressor for a good price at an estate sale allowing me to afford a entry level brush.

Oh man, if you are like I was you are getting ready to paint everything you can get your hands on. You see things that were perfectly fine before, but just scream to be painted now. It was a transient hobby for me, but it was lots of fun while it lasted. Have fun!

I am a woodworker, I've made guitars for years. I take custom orders and sell them extremely cheap because I believe everyone deserves to have something specifically for them.

482810_10151430031509360_1723512445_n.jpg

299871_10151430510989360_1262463528_n.jpg

Nice guitars!!!!
I built a bass (well, assembled it...) I bought the neck and body, but did the finishing, routing and so forth myself.
I would like to go full DIY< but I don't trust myself that much... (not to mention not having a place for the big woodworking tools)

I use one of these to paint and weather model railroad buildings. Oddly enough, I purchased my brush from Chicago Airbrush company - right where you live. lol

I couldn't justify spending that kind of money solely to a air-compressor that could not be tasked for anything else so I red-necked it a lil. The picture is for layout demo only. I use sections of air hose to put the compressor in another room to reduce the noise level. The airbrush uses so lil air that it does not kick the compressor on that much.

IMG_0583-L.jpg

I can't imagine this being too much of a option in Chicago, but if by remote luck, you should have a scuba center nearby, I've also multi tasked a scuba cylinder and reg to do the same thing. The benefit to that is very clean, dry air that will last a long, long time.

IMG_0336-L.jpg

IMG_0393-L.jpg

IMG_0661-L.jpg

You'll have a blast painting. Good luck, have fun!

Ken

Some great hobbies here. Interesting to see what interests people and how many of us have similar likes.

As for me, I too play guitar. I also surf quite a bit and I enjoy working on and driving cars. I have a 2011 Challenger SRT8 that is slightly modified (I had bigger plans but the beer thing has taken priority!). I also have a modified 02 dodge dakota pickup which is a lot of fun in its own right.

bigken462 my compressor is like yours but i have added a big tank to it so I can fill it and not need to run the compressor.

O and yeah have a lot of scuba here Ship divers lake Michigan is good for it. Was planning on getting a scuba tank down the road.

If all you're going to be doing is airbrush painting, I would buy the most inexpensive craigslist first stage regulator that you can find. I would not sink much money into it since you're just using it to reduce the 3000 PSI tank pressure down to lower workable limits and not relying on it for life support. From there you can use your other reg to reduce it down to airbrush levels.

A 6 dollar air fill will last you quite a while and allows you to be mobile w/o needing power if that is something you do.

Oh man...reading this thread has reminded me of all the hobbies I had to get out of over the years because life got in the way.
I'm a first degree black belt in Tang-Soo-Do and I miss going back every day. It was hard to not be in shape if you went to class regularly.
I used to be pretty good with a longbow. I used to fletch arrows and shoot for at least an hour a day after school. No room for that anymore.
I still play drums on a somewhat regular basis but I used to be in a band with some of the best buddies a guy could ask for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zlVnLv_ZI)...ah college.

Right I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. School and work tend to limit free time, and living in an apartment makes it hard to pursue things like smoking meat and general tinkering.
Some day :rockin:

Geocaching is my other major obsession but has slowed down as we have found almost 2500 and have to hit the road to find much new. Been considering a Craft brewery/geocache adventure combo for this summers vacation.

Some great hobbies here. Interesting to see what interests people and how many of us have similar likes.

As for me, I too play guitar. I also surf quite a bit and I enjoy working on and driving cars. I have a 2011 Challenger SRT8 that is slightly modified (I had bigger plans but the beer thing has taken priority!). I also have a modified 02 dodge dakota pickup which is a lot of fun in its own right.

Do you come out to the Beach Burger meets in HB at all? We meet there every 1st Friday of every month. All the LX platforms: 300's, Challenger's, Charger's & Magnum's. Check out SoCalLx.com .

I have a 2012 300 SRT8 (392 CI) w/ an Edelbrock blower. Fun times!

Let me start by saying that I'm not going to try and outdo anybody. I live a humble life with a rather small circle of friends, my hobbies were mostly solo for awhile.
-Computers and gaming. I know more than most of my friends, I have a shirt claiming that I won't fix their computer, I make jokes using linux code to those I know will get it.
-Biking, though I have been quite busy for it lately.
-Some photography, goes well with biking through paths in nearby parks

Amtgard
Metal/ armor making( not my best work only pic I could find)
886776_613824745332221_1985133369_o.jpg
I found another!

I knew Amtgard before reading this thread. My guild has brought me knowledge of their existence and what they do. This is getting towards newer hobbies, with folks I'd trust my life to - and already have. Details follow.
-Chain maille. I made a hauberk as my first piece. I decided to call it a labour of labour. I've since made a few jewelery pieces as gifts and some I intend to sell. I know how long it took dx6x to make that - he is a dedicated one. Congrats, it looks great and you should be proud. Don't claim shoddy workmanship. Believe me it will stop a blade; but more on that later.
-Small home maintenance and repairs. Got myself a nice little condo April 2013 and it needs some love. I cannot imagine someone owning a home and not being mechanically inclined.
-Brewing. Since I'm going in a somewhat sequential order, I'll put this hobby right about here. We all know what it's about, no explanation needed.

-The grand finale. I am an armoured swordsman. This means I (we) practice from medieval books and work in an armour fabrication shop in my spare time. Our armour gets used, and it works well. We train weekly and have a few annual demonstrations. We were also invited to be special guests at the mayors party though the link doesn't mention it. Thanks Jim. :rolleyes:

On the far left with red accents
_9257448531.jpg

Link if embed fails

On the right, some quality control testing :rockin:
_7872449608.jpg

Link if embed fails

Both photos taken at our annual July event in Osgoode ON. About 1/2 hour south of Ottawa, about 45 minutes north of Ogdensburg NY.

Fishing, fishing, rebuilding boats, fly tying, fishing, tournament fishing, turkey hunting, kayak fishing,......ummmmmm oh yeah and spending time with my girlfriend? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not going to even attempt to outdo some of these amazing hobbies, although it is wonderful how creative and musical everybody is!

On a gov't salary, my budget is small, unfortunately. I dabble with computers and help out friends with problems when I can. It amazes me that something can be maddening, frustrating, fascinating and fun at the same time. I enjoy gardening and have been learning how addictive orchids can be over the past year. I also enjoy making terrariums. I like being in the company of animals, having 6 cats and 5 dogs. I am attempting to learn to knit. I enjoy pistol and rifle shooting when I can and would like to get another bow- I used one in high school and enjoyed it and would like to do it again one day if funds permit. I like to cook when the mood is on me and love to bake bread. I read voraciously and listen to rock music - classic, metal, hard rock and some alternative. Walks in the woods and down into the swamp are also enjoyable. I like gathering native plants for my household garden.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew mobile app

I am a woodworker, I've made guitars for years. I take custom orders and sell them extremely cheap because I believe everyone deserves to have something specifically for them.

482810_10151430031509360_1723512445_n.jpg

299871_10151430510989360_1262463528_n.jpg

I'm also an avid musician. I went to culinary school while in high school so I enjoy cooking. I hold 3 state records in powerlifting and regularly train other athletes (since my injuries have taken a firm hold in my life I am now just your average run of the mill bodybuilder). I'm finishing up my degree in law and headed straight into graduate school so I read a lot of Foucault and other boring stuff. I'm a tech junkie and have been building a pretty sweet computer for the past year with two liquid coolers and some other non-necessary luxuries.

But mostly I just drink beer and sit around my house :drunk:

All right, another amateur luthier! That's my favorite hobby. I just finished this one for a buddy. I like how it turned out so much, im having a hard time letting it go. Nice work btw

Sent from my MB855 using Home Brew mobile app

1391381543489.jpg

Zepth wasnt saying it was shoby just not my best. I just don't have pics of my plate sets Ive made. Yeah live steel is a little much for me done some sca and that's about my limit. Like amtgard because its a nice relaxing day in the park. That i can leave with out being bruised up.

Well I can list all the hobbies I gave up 4 years ago when I started http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/

Golf (sold the clubs)
Frisbee Golf (sold the discs)
Fishing (I really need to get my kids fishing again)
Boating (sold the Lavey Craft and my Sea Ray sits under cover)
Camping (went 2x last year)
Wake boarding (My Liquid Force and Hyperlite have been dry for 3 years)
Snow boarding (my Rosi didnt see powder last year at all)
Mountain biking (I rode my Giant 3x in the last 2 years)
Road cycling (Trek OHHHH How I long to get my Trek on the pavement!)
Paintball (VS3 has not shot a ball in 4 years Uhhhggggg)
Kart Racing (Emmick 125cc Rotax needs to burn fuel again soon!)
USPSA and IPSC pistol shooting (Para .40 cal full comp and ported with aimpoint needs oiled I am sure)
Hiking
Kayaking (My Dagger has not seen a rock in years!)
White water rafting
Four wheeling
Motor building (the 400 HP roller small block 350 got sold in the 21' Lavey Craft, Man do I miss that boat!)
Auto cross (now I just burn the tires off my 540I on the street)
Home remodeling (SWMBO REALLY WANTS THE BATHROOM DONE AGAIN)
Traveling (My pasport needs a stamp BADLY!!!)

Just to name a few.... Is it worth it?

YEAH!!!! FOR SURE!

Cheers
Jay

Back