hmm, if you had a 5/16" tee....would you do it with out a wrapper? lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i got my stuff today for doing my long tee of my co2, got a 5/16" tee, 5/16" everything, shut off, QD.....but like, i only have 1 hose clamp.....would you? i'm talking a tee, QD, another shut-off.....

i got enough beer to last a few days until i can get to the hardware store, but i've had a 1/4" picnic faucet without a hose clamp for years with 1/4" line run to it, no problems?

edit: this is going to have to stand up to 50psi pressure for carbing.....

well coudn't wait, i used my trick from fencing days, just twisted bailing wire on them, seems to be working.....

Wondering why anyone is using 5/16" tubing for anything...

i'm trying to think of joke for that! but forum rules and all......

I use 3/16 line on 5/16 barbs and have never used a clamp or had a leak.

...must be soft tubing, and you must have to get it hot and wet, to jam that barb in it!

and day_trippr, that's what all the QD's for co2 are? regulators also......

Definitely not soft, the hotter the better... oh wait you were talking about tubing.

well i'm at 43lb's 10oz's....on my 20lb tank with a TW stamp of 33.4lb's.......i'll see in the morning if the bailing wire is working i guess....it's stayed steady for a few hours at that weight, so even if there is a leak, should only lose couple ounces.....

Bevlex, takes hot water and some effort, but saves a lot of clamps, several dozen for all my uses.

20200918_072752.jpg

Here is a pic, you can see its stretched somewhat. I heat the last inch of tubing in almost boiling water first. I also screw the flare onto a disconnect to have something to hold onto while forcing the tubing over the barb.

looks a lot cleaner then my twisted wire!

edit: unfortunately, my scale reads 43lb's 9.1oz's this morning, so i don't think my wire idea is working.....have to see if it goes up, when the house starts warming up though.....

Last edited:
So you lost 0.9 oz overnight? Didn't you say the beer needed to be carbed or is it not hooked up to beer yet?

no the i burst carbed it with 1.3oz's....that's all i need to serve at 8psi and 40f......this scale is accurate to a fault, just opening my fridge door changes it, and walking past it flutters a bit.....but losing an ounce over night when my kegs are already charged with 1.3oz's a piece got me a bit concerned.....let me take a pic so you know that a small leak would be VERY possible! i looked at bevlex, but it would have cost me $30 for 20'....so i bought a box of 10 clamps for $6.....

onehoseclamp5barbs.jpg

the 10' or so for that burst carbing QD was sitting on the power cord for the scale in making flucuate too......if i lose two ounce in two days, i'm on a pressurize for a pour schedule till i get my clamps....i've got two shut off's between the tank and kegs, so i shouldn't have to get em up to full pouring strength everytime.....

Back