HLT sizing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
As I progress in my brewing endeavors ive contemplated buying a dedicated HLT cooler. Currently im using a wheeled cooler that i use for other stuff but was looking at the 5 gallon coolers at home depot this weekend. Currently im mashing in a 10 gallon igloo cooler with false bottom and boiling in a 15 gallon pot. I dont see myself brewing 10 gallon batches unless its a lighter session beer. Will a 5 gallon HLT cut it? once i decide i plan to build a tiered setup and get a pump to fill the mashtun and the HLT.

I bought a 10 gallon because the 5 gallon is too small for some beers. An IPA that has 13-14 lbs of grain would need approx 4.5 gallons of strike water. That won't leave enough room for the grain. If your just doing lighter beers, you might be ok, but then you'll be restricting your possibilities in the future.

My preference when I made my setup was to make a direct fired HLT. I scored 2 ten gallon SS pots on craigslist and I made a 3 tier. On the HLT tier is my turkey fryer burner and one 10 gallon pot with sight glass, thermometer and valve. I fill to a couple of gallons more than the strike water needed for 2 reasons. Below 2 gallons there are no more markings on the sight glass and to have some extra in case I need to raise the mash temp. The mash tun is a round Rubbermaid cooler. I has a water heater braid and valve. The boil kettle is the other 10 gallon pot with valve on an sp10 burner.

In answer to the question of cooler size I would opt for 10 gallons I have made quite a few brews that needed at least 5 gallons of strike water.

I bought a 10 gallon because the 5 gallon is too small for some beers. An IPA that has 13-14 lbs of grain would need approx 4.5 gallons of strike water. That won't leave enough room for the grain.

But the OP said HLT, there's no grains in there. With the 10 gallon mash tun you can certainly mash pretty thin, and you can heat as much strike water as you want in your 15 gal pot. If you're really sticking to 5 gal beers I don't think you'd ever need to sparge with more than 5 gallons. The main problem I see is if you ever want to do a 10 gallon batch, as your other equipment would already accomodate it. You say you don't plan to but... it happens to the best of us. ;)

Edit: I do agree an HLT with the ability to direct fire is handy. If you decide to add another burner to your stand and go that route I would definitely go bigger.

i do have a 7.5gallon pot and another burner i could setup.... would save me getting a pump actually too. Not sure what way to go now.. lol i guess it gives me more options to have a fired HLT.

Back