HLT size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCatBrewery

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm looking to make the all-grain plunge, and planning on going the round igloo cooler method. I've decided on a 10 gallon cooler so that I'm never OG limited in 5 gallon batches. (there are plenty of threads on this topic)

But my question is: How big of a HLT do I need if all I'm ever going to do is 5 gallon batches? Is another 10 gallon container really necessary? From my inexperienced research, it seems like a 5 gallon HLT would do just fine. Thoughts?

I do five gallon batches with a 10 gallon igloo and rarely have I ever sparged with more than 5 gallons so I think you should be fine with a fine gallon igloo hlt

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Home Brew mobile app

Batch- or Fly- Sparging?

I have a 7.5 gallon HLT I use for fly-sparging, and I always have to refill it after mashing in. My rig, at the moment, is the 7.5 gal HLT, 10 gal Igloo, 10 gal kettle, brewing 5 gal batches.

From the small amount of reading I've done on batch sparging, you maybe able to get away with a smaller HLT. Although, I think the "standard" setup recommended either way is matching you boil kettle and HLT volume.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You should be ok with a 5 gallon igloo, but if there isn't much of a difference in price (and if you have the room) it is always better to leave room to expand :mug:

OP is asking about HLT size if I'm not mistaken. Right?

I do 10 gal batches with a 12 gal kettle/HLT (I use it for both), so I don't see why you wouldn't be fine with 5 gal batches with a 5 gal HLT.

Having said that, if you went up to a 12 gal HLT you could use it in the future for 10 gal batches if you wanted to go that route.

5 gallon batches will require about 4 gallons of strike water (10 or 12 lbs of grain), plus after the mash, you'll need another 4 gallons or so of sparge water (depending on your boil off.
Kettles sizes are measure to the brim, so you'll need a little space. I suggest at least a 6 gallon kettle for your HLT assuming you can bring the sparge water to temp during the mash.

Great thoughts all. I don't see myself venturing into the 10gal batch range... but I'll have to weigh the options.

Batch- or Fly- Sparging?

I have a 7.5 gallon HLT I use for fly-sparging, and I always have to refill it after mashing in. My rig, at the moment, is the 7.5 gal HLT, 10 gal Igloo, 10 gal kettle, brewing 5 gal batches.

From the small amount of reading I've done on batch sparging, you maybe able to get away with a smaller HLT. Although, I think the "standard" setup recommended either way is matching you boil kettle and HLT volume.

^this^
I fly. My HLT needs to contain the entire preboil volume as I am pumping clean water into the MLT for as long as I am collecting sweet wort.
I've never batched but I can see the HLT volume needs being less

Great thoughts all. I don't see myself venturing into the 10gal batch range... but I'll have to weigh the options.

I once said that and now I have a 1/2 bbl system. I agree with what was said above that a six or seven gallon hlt is fine. If there as any chance you might go bigger do it now. I have "wasted" a lot of money due to thinking I would not upgrade.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Back