Hlt from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I have decided to build a hybird system. Electric hlt and gas bk. I can always upgrade to electric bk later, but right now this is the easiest for me.

I ordered a couple of the 1 inch half couplings and I have 2) 120v 1500w heaters that were laying around from old truck stock. I also found a robertshaw steam table tstat that will go up to 225 degrees and handle 20 amps.

Should I use both elements? I will be using this for both 5 and 10 gallon batches and I might could use the extra wattage. If I used 2, what about the placement of the elements. One on top of the other or one on either side of the tank?

Thanks in advance:D

After doing a little research I decided to use both elements and put them 180 from each other with one a couple of inches higher than the other. That way if I need some thing bigger later they wont interfere with each other. I am wiring them in to a 2 pole contactor wired into 230 vac so that each heater gets its own 120 vac leg. With a 120 vac coil broken by the tstat. I will put the controls into a hussman box I had laying around.
Thanks for the help.

Back