Highish FG gravity with ECY20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loctones

Reaction score
I have two pale sour beers which have been fermenting with ECY20 for 15 and 16 months. The oldest is a mix of pils and wheat extract with 8 oz. of maltodextrin. It started at 1.049. The younger beer is 60% pils and 40% wheat malt, single infusion mash at 154 and also had 8 oz. of maltodextrin.

I did primary on both beers in a bucket and in a month they were both down to 1.009. A year and a few months later, the extract beer is still at 1.009 and the all grain beer is at 1.007. I expected to see more of a drop in gravity after a year. Apparent attenuation levels are at 81% and 87% for these beers, so they're doing okay.

Is this high of a FG with ECY20 typical? I expected them to finish at 1.004 or lower. The taste is great, so I want to bottle some and put another couple gallons on peaches. I just don't want the bottles to blow (I'll use champagne bottles, just in case), since I want to keep some around for a few years.

I don't have an answer for you but took my first gravity on a Roeselare dark sour at the 12mo mark and it's down to 1013. I mashed around around 156-158F. I'm curious what others are seeing for FG on sour ales. I was under the impression the FG would be a lot lower after a year.

My flanders red went from 1.047 to 1.004 in 8 months using Roeselare. Mash was at 154 (single infusion). I bottled part of it and added some fresh wort on top with another pitch of Roeselare. Also started a 2nd fermentor with ECY01 - Bug Farm at the same time. Haven't checked the gravity of either one yet but it's only been another 3 mos. Trying hard to be very patient!!

I haven't checked my turbid mash beer, yet, but it's only about 9 months old. I'll give it at least another 3 before I sample it. Hopefully it's not even higher in gravity.

Given everyone's variable results, I'll just give the beers a couple more months. If they don't move in that time, I'll bottle them up.

Back