Higher then expected FG... Will my bottles explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eking87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still on my first attempt. Originally, I was worried that because the bubbles had stopped, fermentation had stopped. After posting here, my fears were set aside and I got some great advice.

I have one more question before I bottle. My brew day was Saturday, Jan 7, so going on three weeks ago, and it's been in the primary this whole time. I prepared to bottle last saturday, the 21st, and was all set up... then I took a hydrometer reading. 1.020.
Now i'm using a kit (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SSJR2S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and according the directions, the final gravity should be lower, closer to 1.15.

Depending on the advice I receive for this post, I would like to bottle ASAP, but i'm concerned that due to the higher than expected final gravity PLUS the priming sugar i'm going to use, that the sugar content will be too high and my bottles will explode.

I realize that this beer may not taste exactly as intented, but I had a sip, and it was beer, to be sure. So I consider that a successful first attempt. But as long as I can get something paletable without a hugh mess, i'll be glad to share it with friends.

Does anyone think I'm at risk for my bottles exploding?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back