Higher than expected OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genjin

Reaction score
I brewed the following recipe for a smoked porter this weekend and got a higher original gravity than expected. If the grains had been mashed the predicted OG would have been 1.065. However, I steeped them, so I edited the software not to count them toward the OG and as a result the expected OG was 1.050. However, before pitching the yeast I took a gravity reading and it came to 1.062. I had it right at 5 gallons after topping off. Did some of my specialty grains convert to sugar? How could I have gotten an OG so much higher than expected? Thanks for your help to a fledgling brewer!

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 3.5 gal
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7
Color (SRM): 35.9
ABV: 5.0%

[Grains]
Briess Golden 7.000lb Extract 71.8%
Weyermann Smoked 1.500lb Grain 15.4%
Chocolate Malt (US) 1.000lb Grain 10.3%
Black Patent (US) 0.250lb Grain 2.6%

[Hops]
Centennial 1.00oz 9.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 25.5 IBU
Willamette 0.50oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 45 min, 5.9 IBU
Willamette 0.50oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 2.3 IBU

[Yeast/Other]
Scottish Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast WLP028

Hmm..... I don't think I mixed it much. I swirled the thief a bit, but it certainly wasn't thorough. So you are thinking that I got more if the thick stuff from the boil than the true five gallon gravity reading?

You have to mix the carboy like a madman to get a proper OG reading sometimes. I pick the carboy up and shake it until my arms give out.

Also, just to be clear, you will get some conversion from the steeping grains assuming they were in the right temperature range, so you can't remove them totally from the recipe. It just wouldn't be near as full converstion as if they went through the mashing process. From your recipe, the steeping grains would provide 6 gravity points, bringing your target OG up to 1.056. The other amount your off could be from not mixing as stated.

Ok! Thanks for the info. I think I'll jam some dance music so I can really shake it next time!

Back