High temperature in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
I am aware of the importance of temperature control during the initial fermentation period, and it's effect on off-flavors/esters/etc. My question is this... How important is keeping wort temperature low during the bulk conditioning phase?

I have a Russian Imperial Stout that has been in primary for more than a week. The gravity has stabilized, and I reached my expected FG, so I am fairly certain it is done actively fermenting. I was planning to leave it in prtimary for at least another week, then transfer to secondary with bourbon and oak cubes for a couple more weeks before bottling. The temperature where I live has suddenly jumped up into the 80's during the day, and I am not sure I can convince SWMBO that the A/C in the house needs to be left on while we are at work, just because I have a fermenter in the closet.

Should I rig up a swamp cooler for the rest of the bulk conditioning period, or does it really not matter anymore, now that the active fermentation is over?

I tend to follow recommendations from Brewing Classic Styles as well as some of the podcasts on the brewing network. It can vary a little bit depending on style, but generally speaking I tend to start out in the lower range for the yeast I'm using then ramp the temps up towards the end of primary fermentation. So say the recommended range is 63F-72F, I'd probably hold it at 64F for about four days, then ramp it up to 70F over a few days. I've had pretty good results with this technique.

80F seems a bit on the warm side to me, but if primary fermentation is done you probably won't pick up additional flavors from the yeast (e.g. esters). I think my biggest concern might be premature degradation of your brew. I think there was a Brew Strong broadcast I listened to recently that talked about the importance of temps with respect beer quality. I may need to listen to it again, but I believe they recommended avoiding high temps in addition to trying to maintain relatively consistent temps during storage.

It's not nearly as big of a deal after gravity has stabilized. Higher temperatures can actually help the yeast in it's clean up stage. That said the ideal temp for that phase is 70-72. Finished beer keeps better at refrigeration temperatures. Prolonged exposure to higher temps can cause premature staling. I think it would be worth rigging up a swamp cooler.

Back