High Pressure Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
So i know that the high pressure gauge is unreliable. But the other day mine read 0. So I figured I must have a leak somewhere as I only carbed 3 kegs and dispensed around 1.5.

So i disconect the tank and when its off I open the valve to make sure it's empty. When it's open I hear gas flowing out. This suprised me so i re-hooked up the tank to the system. It still reads 0 but is still pushing some gas out. I didn't dispense much but am very confused.

Should I take the tank and get it refilled and check for leaks? OR is the tank still full it's just that the high pressure gage is absolutely worthless and reads 0psi?

Trying to get an answer if I should fill the tank or not? The high pressure gage is in on 0 but still pushing gas. IS this normal?

Weigh your tank. I'm sure you can find the empty weight of a tank. Then subtract to see if you have anything left or just "fumes".

i'd love to answer the question about the high-pressure gauge, but I dropped my tank a couple of years ago and completely destroyed the high pressure gauge on mine. The face is bent all to hell and the needle fell off. So, mine doesn't provide ANY reading.

When my low pressure gauge drops to 0, I know it's empty. :D

I think you either have a broken gauge or you are running on fumes.

I have never seen my high pressure gauge read zero except when my tank is empty.
It drops REALLY quickly when empty.

Keep in mind that there is probably at least 10psi in the tank even when empty, just because it can't push more into your keg than the kegs internal pressure. This may account for some left over pressure in the tank when disconnected.

Weight is the real way to know whats in the tank. I think there should be a tare weight stamped on the tank.

Ed

turns out i was running on fumes. I must have a leak though I went through that tank too fast.

Found the leak tonight. Never assume part of the mainfold you get from an online supplier has been pressure/leak tested. A shutoff valve connection was not properly sealed with teflon tape. I redid it and everything is holding pressure.

Back