High og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin b

Reaction score
Hey y’all, brewed a hop slam clone from aih today. It’s target og is 1078 I ended up with 1096. I followed the recipe exact. Any reason my og came out so much higher than expected. I don’t usually buy the kits but I figured ide try it.

Did you mill it ? Was the amount collected into the fermenter on target ? Did you use a hydrometer and was the wort temp fine for checking?

Yea I milked it myself I milked it at .050, I took a hydrometer reading at 78 degrees, my final amount into the fermenter was a little short but not by much I did notice there was a lot more debri in the wort when I put it in the fermenter a considerable amount more than normal.

I'm not sure if 78 would make the reading off or not. With the lower amount and the sludge being transferred to the FV could very likely be the reason.

Yea it’s a very strange brew. I’m sure it’ll be fine in the end. I like to make up my own recipes every time I’ve brewed a kit it comes out different than expected.

someone else said in a different thread, "are you bragging or complaing?" i'd take notes and try to duplicate the result....

5845B29A-24BE-4D42-B78F-0A91EE2C258B.jpeg

I plugged the numbers into QBrew just for grins (quicker than BeerSmith 3) and using its standard values for AA and the like it comes up with these numbers for 5.125 gallons to the fermentor:

OG: 1.093 Take note that the honey addition brings the OG up from 1.079 to 1.093, so 1.096 for slightly less volume sounds like the OP nailed the brew day.

IBU: 81 (Tinseth) or 96 (not Tinseth - not sure what QBrew uses if not Tinseth) but either way spot on for a big WCIPA.

Sideways stuff makes my vertigo kick in...

AIH_hop_slam.jpg

Cheers!

Hey good looking out man, I didn’t take into account the additional 2 lbs of honey. Thanks man

Just another free service on HBT ;)

Clearly, AIH didn't account for the honey, either, when they listed the fermentables, thus the 1.078 OG prediction.
In any case that's gonna be a big beer, hence the healthy hop schedule for balance...

Cheers!

Back