High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hootowl

Reaction score
So I'm brewing from a kit. Have done at least 10 batches from this company (Craft a Brew).
Great results overall. DME

Just finished and filled the fermentor. New England IPA. Recipe says OG 1.057 I get 1.12.

This recipe is:
2.125 lb Honey Malt and Flaked oat blend steeped in early at 155 deg
6.25 lb Pilsen extract
2 oz Citra
2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Simcoe

Dry hops added later.

Thats a lot of stuff and I would expect a high OG. Do you think the Craft a Brew call of 1.057 is wrong?
20180831_183755.jpg

What is your batch size and was the extract mixed in correctly?

It's a no brainer with the kit 5 gal. Extract mixed in at the beginning of the boil. 20 minute boil then let cool to 180 and add the 6 oz of hops

It's a no brainer with the kit 5 gal. Extract mixed in at the beginning of the boil. 20 minute boil then let cool to 180 and add the 6 oz of hops

2.125 lb Honey Malt + 6.25 lb Pilsen extract will give around 1.06 in 5gal. Unless they sent you a double batch there's a problem with your measurement or sample.

If it's topped to five gallons like you say and all the extract at the beginning so it's definitely mixed, I don't see any way those ingredients could produce a stout-level OG.
Did you check your hydrometer?

Funny because I had a friend over and showed him how the hydrometer worked. It read 1 with water

Last edited:
Unless there was more than double the amount of extract or you only made 2 gallons it is impossible to get that high. Did you add top up water? If so it was not fully mixed in.

Thanks all. I pulled the sample from the tracking valve down low. I'm now thinking it was loaded with hops trub.

Thanks all. I pulled the sample from the tracking valve down low. I'm now thinking it was loaded with hops trub.

It wasn't the hops and trub that got you that high OG reading. It was the fact that the concentrated wort is very difficult to mix properly with the top off water and your sample was mostly concentrated wort. When you buy a kit with extract and top off water, the OG listed on the kit is what you will get if you add the correct amount of water.

It wasn't the hops and trub that got you that high OG reading. It was the fact that the concentrated wort is very difficult to mix properly with the top off water and your sample was mostly concentrated wort. When you buy a kit with extract and top off water, the OG listed on the kit is what you will get if you add the correct amount of water.
This is about my 15th kit. I don't OG every time. Almost everytime I did it was really close to the recipe. This style had a huge amount of steeping grains and 6 oz of hops. Well all i can say is the yeast is doing it's thing now. Lot's of action

Some extract kits you need to add top off water after the boil. So maybe it wasn't fully mixed... if you followed the instructions I'd say it's actually impossible to get 1.12 off a recipe designed for 1.057.

Back