High OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
I had a target OG of 1.072 but instead hit 1.080...what would lead to this??

I think that my preboil volume was low; wouldn't this lead to a higher OG??

I am really trying to get this efficiency thing nailed down....

Thanks

If your efficiency is variable due to slightly different grain crush or mashing a bit too high or too low, this could cause it. Efficiency is basically an average that you get closer and closer to hitting every time once you have your system totally dialed in - and that means more brewing! Or you boiled too long. And, yes, if your pre-boil volume was low compared to what you should have based on your equipment, you maybe should have sparged with a bit more volume to get a higher pre-boil and, thus, a more diluted wort with a lower OG.

But sometimes a higher OG is just a bonus. :)

Without specifics it would be hard to say why your OG would be high, but yes a low preboil volume can lead to a higher OG than expected. But, your efficiency could be better than estimated too, did you calculate your efficiency ? What was your volume, pounds of grain, grain bill, etc.?

Did you temperature correct your reading?

Usually samples are corrected from being too hot, which leads to a higher corrected gravity. Measuring 1.080 at, say, 100F would give an actual OG of 1.086. All the hydrometer correction calculators I have seen actually either throw errors or bottom out about 1 point below the measured reading anywhere below 60F.

SilverZero said:
Usually samples are corrected from being too hot, which leads to a higher corrected gravity. Measuring 1.080 at, say, 100F would give an actual OG of 1.086. All the hydrometer correction calculators I have seen actually either throw errors or bottom out about 1 point below the measured reading anywhere below 60F.

You are correct, my bad, I the Op backwards, I had a senior moment, :drunk:

You are correct, my bad, I the Op backwards, I had a senior moment, :drunk:

Haha, no worries, I was halfway through replying to your post with a "yeah, that's a good thought!" before my own head caught up with me and made me think about it myself. :mug:

Back