high OG staggered yeast and sugar additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPSareKEY

Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed a beer with a OG of 1.160. This beer is essentially a modified The Bruery Black Tuesday clone. I pitched an initial 2.5 liter starter with 490 billion cells. It will be about 14% as of now if it ferments properly. It is going to town now. I want it to get around 18%. I have a WL099 1 liter starter on the stir plate now that will be ready in 24 hours.
What is everyones oponion on what type of sugar to add, how much? and when? When should I add the second yeast starter? Should I add it all at once or half and then the other half 24 hours later?
Thank you in advance for any input.

When I was researching how to brew a Belgian strong dark ale I came across recommendations for adding sugar/yeast just as high kreusen is subsiding. I would say use any kind if sugar you like...the yeast won't care. Cheap table sugar works fine. Just dissolve it in as little boiling water as possible, pasteurize it, cool and pitch along with the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I ended up adding molasses, corn sugar, and dme all boiled, and a 1L additional starter with oxygenation. Thank you for being the only one who replied lol!

Back