High gravity yeast started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I'm about to brew NB golden dragon and the OG is 1.090 it say to make a big yeast starter I was going to use 0.5 cups DME and 1000 ml of h20 is this a good idea or should I add more DME

For anything over 1.080 I usually make a double large starter. Using this method I've always reached good final gravities without having to re-pitch.

There's an interesting chart in the new Yeast book from Zainasheff and White. If you make starters too large, they start to trend toward beer fermentation profiles. Yeast starters should make lots of healthy yeast, not beer. The yield factor with one smack-pack or vial is highest between 1.5L-2L, and starts to drop off at 4L, and drops off a lot at 8L+.

As far as the OP's question goes, DME is best measured by weight, not by volume. 100 grams per liter is a good ratio for starters. The size of the starter will depend on the volume of beer to be fermented, and viability of the yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

How many gallons are you brewing and how many vials of yeast were you planing on? If your doing 5 gallons I would think you would need to step up your starter. 1L isn't that big.

I am making a 5 gal batch and I only have a 1000 ml flask I'm probably going to use I litter of water and 3/4 a bit more than .5 of a cup of DME whyeast suggested 1/2 cup DME to one litter and I also have whyeast nutrient 1/2 tbs is suggested

I'm not sure how big the smack packs are, but if you haven't already check out MrMalty to verify your pitching rate. If you have any growlers or any other large glass container you could use that to get a bigger starter going. Maybe pick up a second pack and do 2 separate starters.

Thanks for the help Brycel I'll check out the web site for the proper ratio of DME and h20 like a fool I went and bought a 1000 ml flask when I could have just used a old glass bottle or a one gal jug

Back