High Gravity Gluten Free Beer Is Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timstr

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I recently tried to brew a Gluten Free beer for a friend...but so far the results are not what I expected. We were shooting for a high gravity beer (figured, might as well since the flavor might not be that great). The beer has a sour flavor to it...ok almost undrinkable sourness upfront..finishes bitter (expected). I am very clean, and am quite sure its not sanitization related. I am looking for ideas on how not to throw it away...can we turn it into something great? The FG is not looking so good. Maybe I need to pitch more yeast?

Here is the low down:
Sat in primary for 2 weeks
3 days in seconday so far

60 min boil
SG: 1.062
FG (at the moment): 1.020
yeast: Nottingham Ale (glutten free)
7 lbs Sorgum Extract
1 lb Teff grain (steep for 30 mins)
2 oz Tettinger Hops
1 lb Rock Candy (last 15 minutes)
1 lb Honey (last 5 minutes)

Any thoughts, suggestions would be great to turn this beer around.

Thanks
Tim
-------------------------------------
Primary: Hoegaarden clone
Secondary: Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Gluten Free Surprise (above)
On deck: Delirium Tremens clone (tomorrow)

This doesn't help you now, but from the research I did on gluten-free brewing a year or so ago, sorghum extract is often sour-ish, and they recommended doing hop-driven beers with sorghum to help cover that all up.

You could try to make some hop tea to get more hop flavor?

Thanks. I am going to do that and and some dry hops as well. I did some reading and I think I also have too many sugars, and the yeast may not have fully performed...I might try adding more yeast...maybe get lucky and convert some more of that down to alcohol I hope...but I know the flavor is not going to change much. I might throw in some more orange as well....I added some sweet orange peel to the boil at about 15 mins..forgot to include that.

Back