High Gravity, Clawhammer, Unibrau, Brew Boss automation - Programmable Steps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaLaH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently looking into the above eBIAB systems for 5 gallon batches. I don't have 240V access but may spring for it.

I'm curious if any of these panels allow programmable mash steps. I'm looking for the most automated solution (I'm coming from a Zymatic
which was set it and forget.) Ideally, the panel would have a delayed start function so that when I start brewing in the morning, I'm pretty much ready to dough in.
Then I'd like to program a multi-step mash and mash out. Come back when that's done and lift the grain basket. Then, set the boil timer to start once it's reached 212F.

Do any of these systems offer that kind of experience?

If installing 240V is too expensive, which of the 120V options would allow that kind of automation?

I'm interested in this too. Ultimately this would help me decide on either the Grainfather or one of these other systems. Heck, it would even be fun to build a RaspberryPi to run CraftBeerPi, if I could get this integrated with the above units. I love the idea of importing a recipe into Grainfather Connect and have it alert me to each step. From everything I've read the Grainfather is pretty well built but probably not to the level of these others.

I'm currently looking into the above eBIAB systems for 5 gallon batches. I don't have 240V access but may spring for it.

I'm curious if any of these panels allow programmable mash steps. I'm looking for the most automated solution (I'm coming from a Zymatic
which was set it and forget.) Ideally, the panel would have a delayed start function so that when I start brewing in the morning, I'm pretty much ready to dough in.
Then I'd like to program a multi-step mash and mash out. Come back when that's done and lift the grain basket. Then, set the boil timer to start once it's reached 212F.

Do any of these systems offer that kind of experience?

If installing 240V is too expensive, which of the 120V options would allow that kind of automation?
I can do that with my Brew Commander. It has the timer and programmable mash steps and 9 storable programs. I step mash my Wits, but mostly do pale ales. It's not as sophisticated as some of those controllers but it suits my single vessel BIAB and you can get it in 120v or 240 v. I use the 240v with the 3750w boil coil in a 10gal Blichmann kettle.
I do like the touch screen interface.

The Brew-Boss will do basically everything you need except I don't think they offer 120V any longer.
You can program a lot of stuff in Brew-Boss' program and you can even go as far as using the accu-fill water filler and the hops-boss for a pretty hands-off brewing day. (I did not go with some of these options as I do still like being somewhat hands on. I actually have generic brew day steps that I use instead of recipe specific which I know some users do.)

Back