High Fructose Corn Syrup in Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm contemplating an "unspeakable" here brewing project, where the direct fermentation product will not actually be consumed before "secondary processing". Is that indirect enough ;-) I've done this before with success, after constructing the apparatus with as neighbor, who was the owner of record.

HFCS is a very inexpensive sugar source, consisting primarily of glucose and fructose, both of which are highly fermentable. It can be purchased in bulk from bee keeper suppliers. Bring your own container. Glucose is about the most basic of sugars, and fructose is basic fruit sugar, so it requires no inversion.

HFCS has earned a very bad reputation, supposedly causing all sorts of health issues such as weight gain, diabetes, etc, all improbable, considering fructose apparently is the culprit.

Has anybody here used HFCS in brewing? I'd be interested in hearing the results. I can't see where there should be any negatives to it, as it should be pretty much 100% fermented out. It would seem to also be a pretty ideal form for those making ultra high gravity brews, such as the "gin beer", I'm currently working on, which is designed specifically for syrup additions.

H.W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back