"High flow" airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I've switched to a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary fermentation (had been using a 5), so I'm not concerned with blowing off krausen etc. I'd like to do away with a blow-off tube, and just use an airlock from the start. But both of the last two batches I've done in the 6.5 (ESBs) had VERY rapid fermentation -- bubbles-per-second were so quick that they practically couldn't be counted. No temperature issues or anything that...in fact, both came out great (almost wish I had entered into a contest!). I'm concerned, though, that the amount of CO2 that was produced would have popped off a standard airlock. Is there an airlock that will allow a greater rate of CO2 to pass through it without popping?
Thanks!

I would still be ready for a blowoff depending on the yeast you use. This is a 7 gallon about 60 hours post pitch of WY1318

20170103_133433_zpsvnrvnvoh.jpg

Same fermenter the next day

20170104_153553_zpswadmxzxp_edit_1483567278448_zpsecellk3y.jpg

I did a Wit that also came up and through. I did have a blow off on that.

Also, if your airlock has a little plastic cross on the bottom as opposed to a completely open, cut that off.

1) use the blow off tube even with the bigger fermenter. Sooner or later it will blow off.
2) a standard airlock will not blow off due to large amounts of co2 passing through. They will blow off if they clog with krausen.
3) even my blow off tubes (for a Better bottle 1/2" ID.) make a constant stream of bubbles at the height of fermentation.
4) or just use a blow off tube for the duration of the fermentation.

I always use a blowoff tube, unless I'm using my Speidel fermenter. There is enough head space and the airlock is huge.

Speidel sells an "oversized" airlock not sure if that would translate to better airflow. Blow off tubes are guaranteed better flowing though, why the change?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/replacement-airlock-speidel-plastic-fermenters.html

P.S hello from Allen, TX!

Hello neighbor!

My chamber is a Cool Brewing cooler. Am considering doing some styles that will require temperatures in the 40s and 50s...which means more frozen milk jugs. Don't want a blow-off jar/jug/whatever taking up room.

Try Fermcap and an open airlock (no water in it) for the most vigorous days of the fermentation. Seal it up while there is still activity.

Back