High Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have brewed an ale by Safale-04 (1.5 liters starter) but after 15 days my final gravity is 1.022šŸ˜ , I think itā€™s too high (OG was 1.070).
I should wait more or Can I use ā€œSafale F-2ā€ ? or should do nothing?
I read in website that F-2 is for second fermentation.

Hi everyone
I have brewed an ale by Safale-04 (1.5 liters starter) but after 15 days my final gravity is 1.022šŸ˜ , I think itā€™s too high (OG was 1.070).

Extract or all grain?

Did you measure it with a hydrometer or a refractometer? If you used a refractometer, there is a correction that needs to be applied to your OG and FG. In short, refractometers read an indirect measure of specific gravity for sucrose in water. Your mash is a more complex sugar mixture, so there is a correction on the front end such that an OG of 1.070 would be a tat lower (~1.067) if read with a hydrometer. The bigger issue is measuring your fermented wort (which now contains alcohol) with a refractometer. Here the correction is more severe. A FG of 1.22 on a typical refractometer would correspond to about 1.005 on a hydrometer.

If you used a hydrometer for your readings, ignore all this, but keep it mind if you ever switch to a refractometer.

Did you measure it with a hydrometer or a refractometer? If you used a refractometer, there is a correction that needs to be applied to your OG and FG. In short, refractometers read an indirect measure of specific gravity for sucrose in water. Your mash is a more complex sugar mixture, so there is a correction on the front end such that an OG of 1.070 would be a tat lower (~1.067) if read with a hydrometer. The bigger issue is measuring your fermented wort (which now contains alcohol) with a refractometer. Here the correction is more severe. A FG of 1.22 on a typical refractometer would correspond to about 1.005 on a hydrometer.

If you used a hydrometer for your readings, ignore all this, but keep it mind if you ever switch to a refractometer.
I measured by hydrometer

Without knowing the recipe this is just a guess. Fermentis lists average attenuation of 75%. That is an average so sometimes there will be higher, sometimes lower. Your attenuation is about 69% so that could be a normal FG. Add into that the fact that extracts contain some unfermentables and the possibility that your recipe also added more and your measured FG isn't out of line.

I usually brew all grain but this batch was by extract (my first time by extract)

That is your likely culprit. You have probably hit the limit of attenuation for this batch and pitching more yeast wonā€™t do much for you.

With extract you have no control over mashing parameters and cannot changing the fermentability of the wort. Try rousing the current yeast or warming things up to get it active but most likely you are better off leaving it as is because more yeast wonā€™t help.

That is your likely culprit. You have probably hit the limit of attenuation for this batch and pitching more yeast wonā€™t do much for you.

With extract you have no control over mashing parameters and cannot changing the fermentability of the wort. Try rousing the current yeast or warming things up to get it active but most likely you are better off leaving it as is because more yeast wonā€™t help.
Thanks for your information, I ask additional yeast ā€œSafale F-2ā€ that is specially for second fermentation, not normal yeast, in this case do you also recommend it ?

Thanks for your information, I ask additional yeast ā€œSafale F-2ā€ that is specially for second fermentation, not normal yeast, in this case do you also recommend it ?

No, because in your case, you have no fermentable sugars left, which is the likely reason for the fermentation being done.

Safale F-2, if you read the documentation, is designed for secondary fermentation (refermentation) in the bottle and will not help you in this case.

Since fermentability is mostly derived in the mash tun, thus greatly affecting the limit of attenuation and final gravity, and this was an extract batch, your issue is not yeast related and adding more yeast would likely be a waste of money and resources.

You don't say if it is LME, but I have never gotten lower than 1.020 when using it, regardless of yeast. You are probably fine. DME I rarely use, got tired of dealing with the clumps, so can't say if it behaves the same way.

Hi everyone

Umm... my solution is you should be add some sugar in your wort.
Then, yeasts will be eat sugar and remain maltose of the wort . this soultion use yeast osmotic pressure!

I use S-04 A LOT and I've never had it finish that high. Granted, I've never used it in a 1070 beer before.

I'd say warm it up a bit (to around 21Ā°C) and leave it for a couple of days to see where it goes. If it stays at 1.022 for a few days at 21Ā°C, chances are it's done and you can bottle.

Back