High Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennismanto

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the last 2 brews that I made. The problem is that I cannot get the Final Gravity where it should be. I use the two-stage fermentation. Both are in glass carboys. The first was a kit of RED RyePA and used Headwaters Ale Wyeast. The SG I started with was 1.046 which is on the high side of where it should have been (1.042-1.046) But after 2 weeks in the first stage it stopped at 1.029 waited 1 more week and it was the 1.028. I transferred to the 2nd fermenter it stopped at 1.021 and stayed there. I left it in the 2nd for 4 weeks. The Final Gravity should have been at (1.010-1.012). The last brew was a Belgian Golden Ale kit with dry yeast. The same thing OG 1.071 (1.071-1.075) the lowest was 1.029 (1.011-1.015). I always after the boil and the wort cooled and transferred to the 6 gal carboy I put the carboy on it’s side and shake it hard for 2 minutes to aerate the wort good. I use a refractometeer. Please help. Or are the numbers on the kits just guide lines and the numbers will vary. Or what can I do to get the FG where it should be.:confused:

A refractometer will give a wrong reading once there is alcohol present. You need to make an adjustment to the reading to get the correct number.

Try taking a hydrometer sample.

Back