high FG, re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegofclub

Reaction score
I brewed 10 days ago it seems as though fermentation has ceased. the recipe was
6.6 #'s Amber LME
1# chocolate
1# Munich
1# Caramel 60L
Muntons Gold dry Yeast
1 oz Perle @ 30 mins left
1 oz Williamette @ 10 mins left
Steeped grains at 155 for 35 mins
OG was 1.054
Final is still at 1.021 and not changing
Doesn't this sound high? It wouldn't worry about it but sample tastes pretty sweet then is followed by what i would call the perfect bitterness in the after taste.
I know that things are supposed to mellow out when it goes thru secondary and bottling but does that include the sweetness mellowing out. It tastes Prettty good for flat warm beer, but sweet.
Should i re-pitch? Is this what I'm stuck with? Is this a result of all that LME?
ALL in All I'm pretty pleased but would love to get a little sweetness out of "foreground" of taste
Thanks

What were you shooting for (style wise)? And what is the apparent attenuation of your yeast? I am suprised that it is sweet with a pound of chocolate malt in it. I just did a stout that i put 1lb of choco malt in and it ended out around 1.018 after primary and i could taste the choco malt more than anything. I am letting it age in the secondary & keg for at least four months to mellow out the bitterness. That doesn't sound like a lot of extract, about what I used.

Thoughts:

Part of the sweetness is coming from the fact that this is a very sweet beer by design.

You have a fairly high amount of unfermentables (1 lb crystal, plus amber LME already has crystal in it), and very low hop bitterness with the perle only geting boiled for 30 minutes. It depends on your boil size, but if you boiled 2.5 gals you only got something like 16 IBUs.

Your FG is kindof high. I'd leave it another week or so and see if the gravity has dropped at all.

There coulds be other factors--aeration, temperature. You'd have to post more details of your recipe and procedure if you want us to be able to address those things.

Depending on the style, 1.021 isn't that much off the chart, especially considering the amount of malt that went into it. I would look at the attenuation of your yeast, first. Also, what temp did you ferment at? If you wanted to cover the sweetness, rack to a secondary, and dry hop with a light Alpha variety for about a week...hope it helps!

what temperature are you fermenting at? If its too low you may have stalled. Hopefully you have some backup dry packs in the fridge. Rack to secondary, get the wort up to ~70°, hydrate a new dry pack, and pitch it in. Can't hurt...

I find that most of my LME beers finish within a couple of points of 1.020. If it hasn't dropped after 3 days or so I'd guess you're done. I don't think more yeast would help because it's probably unfermentables left. I also agree with NUCC98, it's a sweet style. If you just can't relax the two things to try would be BEANO to reduce the unfermentables or you could try adding a boiled hop tea or hop extract to adjust the bitterness. I've never tried either of these. I usually just bottle and drink.

Back