High FG on big beers. Double oxygenation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowlerMonkey

Reaction score
I've been wanting to double oxygenate my larger beers (once before pitching, once after first 12 hours) as mentioned in the jamile/ Chris white yeast book. Only problem is, after 12 hours, krausen has already formed and I always chicken out and decide not to do it. As a result (I think) my larger beers keep cramping out about 10 pts higher than they should.

Is anyone double oxygenating, and If so, is it alright to do it at the 12-18hr mark even if krausen has already formed?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been wanting to double oxygenate my larger beers (once before pitching, once after first 12 hours) as mentioned in the jamile/ Chris white yeast book. Only problem is, after 12 hours, krausen has already formed and I always chicken out and decide not to do it. As a result (I think) my larger beers keep cramping out about 10 pts higher than they should.

Is anyone double oxygenating, and If so, is it alright to do it at the 12-18hr mark even if krausen has already formed?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe try it 6 hrs after pitch?

How big are your yeast pitches?

The second oxygenation would be done when there is a krausen. In the high gravity beers the need for more oxygen is after the fermentation has begun and the level of the alcohol in the beer has reached the point of restricting new budding in the yeast cells.

from the Danstar site, Dr. Cone
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/oxygenation-timing

Interesting...I had always heard the same as the OP too...(no O2 once you see activity).

So many inconsistencies and opinion in this science/hobby...

This is for high gravity beers. I had read an article about the second oxygenation of the beer, but I can't find it now. High gravity, in this article, may have meant beers over 1.090 OG.

The second oxygenation would be done when there is a krausen. In the high gravity beers the need for more oxygen is after the fermentation has begun and the level of the alcohol in the beer has reached the point of restricting new budding in the yeast cells.

from the Danstar site, Dr. Cone
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/oxygenation-timing

Interesting...I have double oxygenated my big beers, but it is usually 6-8hrs later. That is just a result of the fact I normally brew in the morning and pitch by around lunch time so if I am doing extra O2 it is before going to bed which is about 8 hours later. I will have to try it during Krausen at around 12 hours on the next big beer and see how it goes.

Back