High fermentation with notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I brewed up Edwort's Haus Pale Ale yesterday, and pitched a pack of notty into it at about 75 degrees. It was only a 3 or so gallon batch, and i put it into my swamp cooler with the water up to the point where it nearly was floating. I have been changing out ice bottles all day, but the temperature of the water hasn't gotten below 70.

I was worried about this when I purchased the ingredients, and considered getting us05 because it is supposed to hold higher temperatures better, but ended up getting notty. I know a lot of people don't like the taste of high fermentation with notty. Also it is supposed to be an american pale ale style, but I think it will get more of an english ale style from fermenting that warm.

The activity has slowed down significantly, and its only been about 24 since pitch. It was going crazy about 3 hours after pitching, and did the same thing for about 20 hours.

So basically I am wondering what I should expect taste wise, and what I can do to help. I think I am going to dry hop it with some cascades, but any other suggestions. And anybody have any ideas as to how to make a swamp cooler better? I have been changing ice bottles out as fast as my freezer will freeze them

I brewed up Edwort's Haus Pale Ale yesterday, and pitched a pack of notty into it at about 75 degrees. It was only a 3 or so gallon batch, and i put it into my swamp cooler with the water up to the point where it nearly was floating. I have been changing out ice bottles all day, but the temperature of the water hasn't gotten below 70.

I was worried about this when I purchased the ingredients, and considered getting us05 because it is supposed to hold higher temperatures better, but ended up getting notty. I know a lot of people don't like the taste of high fermentation with notty. Also it is supposed to be an american pale ale style, but I think it will get more of an english ale style from fermenting that warm.

The activity has slowed down significantly, and its only been about 24 since pitch. It was going crazy about 3 hours after pitching, and did the same thing for about 20 hours.

So basically I am wondering what I should expect taste wise, and what I can do to help. I think I am going to dry hop it with some cascades, but any other suggestions. And anybody have any ideas as to how to make a swamp cooler better? I have been changing ice bottles out as fast as my freezer will freeze them
I made a batch of the same earlier this year with Notty, the temps got away from me, into the high 80's. i kegged at 14 days, carbed in 7 days, dry hopped in the keg with an ounce of Cascade, and dashed off to a party, keg in hand. It was the hit of the party and I came home with an empty keg. 21 total days

that's very reassuring to hear. How long did your fermentation last? I am slightly worried about such a quick fermentation.

I think you'll be OK. In a swamp cooler, your beer temp shouldn't be much higher than the water temp. You're a little on the high side, but it's nothing a little extra conditioning time couldn't cure.

For what it's worth, I once fermented a batch with Notty in a room where the daytime temps reached 78 degrees with no swamp cooler. Tasted like hell going into the keg, but three weeks later it was drinkable. Not a great beer by any means, but drinkable.

glad to hear that as well. I have been dealing with a series of infections, and I am hoping that this one isn't infected.

To be honest I had heard nothing but bad things about notty at high temperatures, and will probably stick with other yeast until the weather cools down

i use a lot of notty. it's kind of unpredictable. i have had active fermentation go several days, and had it go for 2 days. For me it averages about 3 days. it can rip through it pretty quick. i have a batch in right now that went 3 days,today is day 10. i will crash cool it saturday, and keg next monday or tuesday.

Latest posts

Back