High fermentation temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I was talking to a well respected head brewer of a commercial microbrewery in the UK, and he told me a few small breweries are experimenting with high fermentation temperatures. This is not for speed, but for the different taste they can achieve. He said trials at 28 deg C were on-going. I have always tried to ferment at 18-20 deg C.

wow, fermentation at 28 degrees C (82 deg F.) with a wheat beer would produce a beer that only a monkey could drink, I guess some other yeast types may produce flavors at those temps that could be paired with grains and mash temps to produce unique falvors, but for no I think I will stick with the 18-20 Deg C. (64-68 deg F.) for now, but this could prove interesting in time!

Higher temps. tend to promote esters, phenols, lots of fruityness, pepperiness, etc.

Think belgian funk characteristics along with the english ones plus some and you'll get an idea where they're going.

Back