High fermentation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBrewnia

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a heat wave. My fermentation has been steady at around 74 degrees in a closet. Day five and all bubbling has ceased in the airlock and the krausen fell from an inch thick cap to a quarter inch. My first batch was a hefe and I know they are more bubbly. Is this typical and fine? I used Wyeast American Ale yeast.

It's not unusual for active fermentation to stop after day 5. I'd expect it to ferment a while longer, slowly getting to FG. Just be sure gravity is stable before bottling (if you are bottling) by getting identical gravity readings 2 - 3 days apart.

74 degrees seems really warm for most yeast - I'm not familiar with your particular yeast. A swamp cooler would be worthwhile to help keep temperature in range.

You're fermenting above the recommended temperature range (60 to 72F.) for that yeast right from the start and with that higher temp the yeast get more active which without good control will push the temperature of the fermenting beer higher yet, perhaps 5 to as much as 10 degrees above the air temp. That will accelerate the yeast activity so it will be done quickly but not make the best beer. You can expect off flavors and fusel alcohol from this temperature.

You can get a refrigerator or freezer and a controller to keep the fementation temp in the proper range or you can go low tech with a tub of water and some ice but you should make sure the beer ferments within the preferred range and towards the bottom of that range will make better tasting beer.

When you say it's fermenting at 74 degrees do you mean the temperature of the closet ?
Or are you using a stick on thermometer on the side of your fermenter ?

Stick on thermometer on my carboy is reading now at 72 and holding. I don't have a swamp cooler or small room I could really feasibly keep one in (jacked up utlility rates and I'm not sure anyone would appreciate an icebox bedroom. Outside it's 100 plus and go to a 68 degree room? Brrr.) My temps are high but it's California in summer and if I kept a big bucket of water around that's just a big dog play area and I have hardwood floors.

Think I'll just see how this batch goes. One week into fermentation. Last one was cooler outside temps. Nearly too cold to ferment. Ah, Central California weather...

I brew at room temperature (72-78F) and I like my beer just fine. I generally use S-05 and it seems really tolerant of that range. Eventually I will build a chamber and get some lower temps but I don't think it's a prerequisite to quality.

People were making good beer long before they had the opportunity to control fermentation temperatures. I think the fun of the hobby gets lost for a lot of new brewers when they are told to overthink beer.

I made "FrankenCooler" from a box tall enough to fit a five gallon bucket into and enough room in the corners to fit a one liter soda bottle into. I bought some Reflectix and cut one piece to fit the bottom of the box, one piece to fit all the way around the inside of the box with about an inch of overlap (I'll call this the liner), one piece to go on top with a slot for the airlock which aligns with a slot cut in the top flap of the box.

The liner is cut shorter than the inside height of the box by a thickness of Reflectix. This allows the top piece to sit flush with the inside height of the box giving enough room for the lid to close flat.

The liner goes in first. The bottom piece is about three inches longer than the box in length and width. The bottom piece goes in second and helps hold the first piece in place. Top piece is cut to the size of the box on the inside and goes on last.

I made a mead a few weeks ago and it was very slow going. I went to check the gravity and thought it was a little cold in the bucket. Took a temp reading and it was 54F. This is with a house ambient of 80F. I had been changing out frozen one liter bottles twice a day. I was getting MUCH better cooling that I thought. Changing out bottles once a day I could hold about 62F.

I have a small house and wanted storability. I can break this down and slide it all under the love seat in the living room.

Get creative. You can find a way to keep your temp down. It WILL make a difference in the quality of your beer.

I might try to post some pictures of my creation.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:
dwhite60: Do you have problems with condensation creating a puddle on the floor?

No, I don't. The bottom piece acts like a bowl to contain any condensation that builds up. I'm in an air conditioned house so the humidity in the house is low.

All the Best,
D. White

A hefe is going to have/need some of the same characteristics that a high fermentation temp will produce. I made a lot of beer before I could/did control my fermentation temps. I've seen a tremendous difference in the quality of my beer with just that one change.

Hi, Any insight is appreciated.

Brewed last week (2 - 10 gallon batches. One IPA and one Irish Red.)

Cooled, areated and put into my ferm chamber (freezer set at 68).
Left town for 2 days and came back to 85 degree wort (and bubbling very nicely, I might add, lol).

Needless to say, my freezer bit the dust. So, for probably the first 48+ hours, fermentation temps were between 80 and 85.
Then the next 4 days in the mid 70, but I suspect mostly fermented out after two days. I am at final gravity.

Any thoughts on how to proceed.

I cant crash cool.

So, options are

Keg it now and see what I get?
leave in fermenter at around 70 - 75 F for a while longer?

Open to other thoughts and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back