High fermentation temperature for Wyeast 1318

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
So I forgot to plug my chest freezer into my temperature controller yesterday when I put my carboy into the fermentation chamber. I pitched the starter of 1318 yeast at 65 degrees and it's been in there bubbling away aggressively since last night. When I realized my mistake, the temp of the carboy (sensor sandwiched between the carboy and a chunk of foam) was about 75 degrees. This was 1.5 days after pitching the yeast. This is a NEIPA. What impact do you think this will have on the finished product?

THE impact won't be favorable but if you let it Finnish and give it a dry hop it might mellow out. You have nothing to lose by letting the process Finnish and it might be decent!

I run 1318 and all the London strains to 73 during the first 24-36 hours and then slowly back it down to 68. Then run it back to 73
For a d rest.

Personally I think you’ll love it.

You will have some stone fruit and peach at that temp. I doubt you’ll get fusel’s that low.

Stone fruit and peach in a NEIPA sounds pretty good! It's just frustrating when you go through a whole brew day and everything goes well until a bone headed mistake at the very end. And, for the record, I didn't have a drop to drink [emoji38]

1318 is more forgiving in the low 70s than a lot of other yeasts. It's my summer IPA yeast without temperature control in a steady 67F basement. I have temperature control, but only for one fermenter. 1318 isn't too estery or boozy in the low 70s. It makes a good beer in that range.

1318 is a lovely english yeast strain, hence it will be more estery than your typical american, " clean " yeast, but it will also be very good at higher temps. I personally prefer the yeast somewhere between 70 and 74F.

1318 is a lovely english yeast strain, hence it will be more estery than your typical american, " clean " yeast, but it will also be very good at higher temps. I personally prefer the yeast somewhere between 70 and 74F.

I think it's a nice yeast, but consider it to be mildly estery regardless of temperature. It's also low on fusels at higher temps. The only thing it doesn't do is produce a dry 1.065 OG beer without sugar.

Back