High ABV - bad after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89OctaneStang

Reaction score
A high ABV is not what I'm complaining about. The more the better! But this didn't really seem to work for this beer. It's a honey brown ale with OG 1.062 and a FG of 1.008. It tasted great when I moved it from the primary at 14 days but today I bottled it after 7 days in secondary and it has a really strong alcohol after taste. Like I dumped a shot of rubbing alcohol in the glass. Just didn't seem to fit for a beer, well my taste that is.

Will that settle out and dissipate after a few weeks or so in the bottle? Or am I a stuck with a strong after tasting beer? Not that I won't drink it. It still has drinkability, but a glass or so and its just a little overbearing.

High ABV, give it three weeks to 5 weeks to bottle condition, more time the better really.
At 7+ ABV, you may have been better served with more time in primary, at least 2 weeks in secondary. But hey, you learn as you go along right.
Time will heal most things.

Last week I bottled a high ABV dark pale ale. It was in the primary for four weeks, and racked to a secondary for two weeks. OG was 1.080, and FG was 1.024, never changed after week three (US-05 dry). Using BeerAlchemy, ABV is about 7.4%.

This brew had a "hot" alcohol taste even after fermenting for six weeks. I've been told that I'll need to wait a minimum of two months before the bottles will condition properly and smooth out. As was said above, time will heal most things. :)

Cool.. Thanks. I hope that works out.. I will try a bottle in a couple weeks to see if it has gotten any better and then continue to do the same every consecutive two weeks or so just to see if there is a big difference.

I have read alot of posts about time healing a lot of things but didn't recall anything about a high ABV with a strong alcohol after taste. Hope that time does heal it because out of all my batches.. This one was my favorite.

I brewed another batch today and added a little more water to the wart and primary and brought my OG down to 1.054 to see if this helps any. Was this a good or bad idea?

Also, if I reach a good goal for a FG, can I rack it and prepare to bottle it even if the yeast isn't finished?

Once I go over 5.5% or so, I just add a week+ on to secondary, and conditioning.
A good example would be a dry mead, at three months it will taste like rocket fuel. At a year it may still be a little hot, and at two years it taste fantastic.
Time....

Got it.. Time.. But that sucks when your a noob and excited to be drinking your own ****.. I've been brewing for 5 weeks, got 6 batches under my belt, and haven't had one of my own beers yet.. Just kinda Sucks!! Thanks though...

1) Six in the pipe? Awesome!

2) It's safe to assume that, even if you're a prolific brewer, you'll still want to buy beer from the store. Someone told me they justified it by calling it "research for future batches." :) Patience is a virtue for all brewers. Or so people tell me.

Back