Hibiscus Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzu

Reaction score
A little slow on getting this up here. I do like posting my brew days, and getting feedback. If there is anything I should add to my brew day posts, let me know.

This is the 3rd all grain beer I've made.

So I've been wanting to make a hibisbus beer for a while now. When extract brewing I would make a Bavarian Weizen that I really liked. What if I made that into and all grain and added the hibiscus?.......DO IT. :rockin:

I pick up the required materials.

April 19th brew day :ban:

I hit mash temp. @ 152, steep for 60min.

My hot liquor tank isn't big enough so I had to sparge in 2 stages. I'm wondering if that is why my gravity was off from est. O.G.? EST O.G. 1.049 measured O.G. 1.038. :confused: My other two batches I hit target.

Adding hops to the boil. Now the hops I used, aren't the normal hops I use for the Weizen. Not typical for any Weizen I'm sure. I wanted to keep the bitter down and use aroma hops. So I used small amounts of Simcoe and fuggles. I didn't want the hibiscus to be over powered by the hops.

Boil just about done, adding hibiscus and bitter orange peel.

Wort cooler in.

I did add another .50 oz. hibiscus at flame out. Didn't seem like much color before it.
I didn't get any pics, but after the wort was cool. There was a lot of stuff floating in the wort. I figure it came from the hibiscus. So I strained/filtered it out.

After about 24 hours later. Pink foam

The description of the yeast was right on about needing head space.

Racked a week later. Gravity is at 1.006. Tasted quite bready and void of hops.

Still foamed up a little in the carboy. haven't checked S.G. since. Need to, and taste again. Might rack and dry hop.

After 2 and a half weeks I tasted it again. Much better, that bready/yeasty flavor isn't so apparent. The Hibiscus does shine in this beer. I racked to the keg and primed with 1.80 oz. of corn sugar. Put it in the fridge this morning.

This is a great refreshing summer beer. It has a nice tart citrusy smoothness to it. I didn't add any citrus to it other than bitter orange peel in the boil. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out. :mug:

Amigo, you still kicken and brewing? I added some roselle to this last batch and had little Krausen but DO have airlock activity. Anything like that on your end? I know this is an old thread.

Back