Hi im new here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbieDigital

Reaction score
Hi

Ive just made my first batch of homebrew, after read the specific gravity after a week of primary fermentation, i bottled it, its now been about a week and a half of secondary fermentation, im using a mixture of glass bottles and plastic bottles, after a week of secondary fermentation i tasted one of the bottles and it tasted yeasty/winey, i washed the big plastic container (primary fermentation) with sterilizer and cleaned the sterilizer out with very hot water, i then washed the bottles out with hot water too, will the taste eventually subside or will it stay????
does it mean i have an infection or is it just a higher alcohol content?
the specific gravity when i bottled was 1.011.

Cheers for the help
Bobbie

G'day

The wine flavour might be because of high fermentation temps. Were you fermenting at the high end of the yeast temperature range? Fermenting at the low end doesn't produce that fruity/wine flavour but it might take a few days longer.

The yeasty flavour is beacuse the brew is very young, let it age for 3 more weeks before drinking and even let some age for 6 months or do.

You diddn't pour the whole bottle in to the glass did you?

Muss said:
G'day

The wine flavour might be because of high fermentation temps. Were you fermenting at the high end of the yeast temperature range? Fermenting at the low end doesn't produce that fruity/wine flavour but it might take a few days longer.

The yeasty flavour is beacuse the brew is very young, let it age for 3 more weeks before drinking and even let some age for 6 months or do.

You diddn't pour the whole bottle in to the glass did you?

Hi Muss thanks for the reply!

i think it might have been a bit high, i put the carboy in a room which might have been a bit high in temp about 24-26 degrees celcius, thanks for that, for this batch i will wait about 3 weeks before trying it, also next batch ill leave in a room with less sun.

what happens if you pour the whole bottle inthe glass?, there was a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the glass, but it didnt go into the glass, it seemed like it was heavy or something, or somewhat dry and immovable, what does this mean?

Cheers for your help

Bobbie

The sediment is yeast that has dropped out of the beer. You don't want to get this into your glass. It can be an art pouring out as much beer as you can before any yeast goes in. I can usually see a cloudy swirl stream up with the last 3ml of liqued in the bottle and I stop pouring before it goes into the glass.

SilverAnalyst said:
The sediment is yeast that has dropped out of the beer. You don't want to get this into your glass. It can be an art pouring out as much beer as you can before any yeast goes in. I can usually see a cloudy swirl stream up with the last 3ml of liqued in the bottle and I stop pouring before it goes into the glass.

Ok thanks!!

Cheers for the help, i think its gonna be all right :D
Ive been reading the other posts in teh forum and other threads, thank god for a place like this!

Cheers for the help

Bobbie

BobbieDigital said:
Hi Muss thanks for the reply!

i think it might have been a bit high, i put the carboy in a room which might have been a bit high in temp about 24-26 degrees celcius, thanks for that, for this batch i will wait about 3 weeks before trying it, also next batch ill leave in a room with less sun.

Bobbie

No sun is best. The UV rays afect the yeast and makes the beer taste rather ropey, so beer is best kept in the dark:)

Yeah the folks here are really nice (just don't ask what a primary fermenter is... rofl poor Moshiach).

And also... Hooray someone else who speaks Metric! I get confused with Imperial. Pounds to Kg's are ok, but I get lost when quarts and ounces are involved.

FYI: Google does wonders for conversion.

just types "4 gallons in pints" or whatever you want, and BLAMMO! Google magically converts it for you. better than pulling up a table ;)

Wait a minute... Who has the same name as who??

lol roflofofofll!!!1111one

Muss said:
Wait a minute... Who has the same name as who??

lol roflofofofll!!!1111one

I was about to say i didnt make that post!

Yep you gotta love the metric system, its just so logical, im not gonna open up a can of worms by saying that here am i ?

Bobbie

BobbieDigital said:
I was about to say i didnt make that post!

Yep you gotta love the metric system, its just so logical, im not gonna open up a can of worms by saying that here am i ?

Bobbie

I can't wait til we start running in metric time.

lol

i use metric and whatever the hell you call what we use in the US (standard? bleagh)...i work in an international medical device and polyurethane manufacturing company, so i work with it every day. most LHBS and online sites work in US tho, so that's what i use for most brewing.

wait...is that what this thread is about? :p

Yooper Chick said:
That's why I've been a little confused lately. There are now TWO of you with the same name.
Like...last year at band camp...I met someone with the same last name as me...but her first name was like...carpet....or rug...or something like that.

Back