Hi from Staines U.K.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fartinmartin

Reaction score
I am a new home brewer, now ten brews into the game and determined to be primarily all grain. All the brews have been terrific, soooo very satisfying!
My equipment level is very basic and very DIY as I don’t want to spend a fortune on kit. I have kept my wife on side by making it clear that its so much cheaper to brew my own beer, with an emphasis on the fact
“the more I drink, the more I save!”

At brew six I read two books, they really set my processes right, add those two books to the hours and hours I have spent on HBT, I have learnt so much.

My boil pot is only 19litre to the rim, and my heating equipment struggles but gets there (gas outdoor burner 2.5kW), I have two plastic fermenting buckets with lids and spigots and one other large bucket, add some slotted copper pipe (mash sieve) and a load of clear plastic siphon pipe, hydrometer, refractometer, campden tablets and that’s about it.
My results are drinkingly fine!
My biggest mistake was buying a refractometer instead of spending the cash on a DIY cooler, an immersion cooler will be the next investment.

I have been addicted to the HBT site for months now, I think its the best that I have used on any topic ! I find the organisation, management, its structure and of course the community absolutely fantastic and very entertaining.
Well done and thank you every one !

Currently – both FV’s empty, both plastic kegs empty
20 Litres bottled Lord Crouchbacks special bitter AG
5 Litres bottled Lord Crouchbacks special bitter AG with citra dry hop
20 Litres bottled Oak Butt brown ale AG
20 Litres bottled Geordie brown ale from LME

Now need to get a brew on to condition while I drink that lot.
What a terrific hobby.

Fartinmartin

I just started my first batch of what I think on your side of the pond is called cider. Us colonialists call it hard cider. I am sure beer making is next for me especially given that winter is just around the corner. I love your comment "the more I drink, the more I save!" The wife has been telling me for years that the more clothes and shoes she buys on sale, the more money she saves. ha! now I get to use the same logic, that is if you are good with me stealing your line.:)

Back