Hi from New Hampshire.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamiti Jane

Reaction score
I found your site when looking for a problem I have with a bottle of beet wine I made several years ago. I had rebottled it using an empty commercial wine bottle with cork closure. When I went to open it there was a hard, whitish plug under the end of the cork. I broke it up to remove it & a piece fell into wine. Now not sure if it is safe to drink. The wine doesn't have a musty or bad smell to it but I'm getting more cautious in my old age. I've made quite a bit of wine in the past & have thought of trying it again but I don't use stabilizers or anything except fruit & sugar. I have a plastic tub that it is my fermenting tank & is meant for making wine. It is just for my own enjoyment, nothing fancy just a hobby. Would appreciate any comment as to what you think that glob is & if I should just sweeten my septic tank with it. Sorry, no pictures, I had already disposed of the blob when I found this website.

Welcome to the community. If it smells good taste it. If it smells rank toss it. If it smells good but taste bitter or sour toss it. If it taste good, no infection or off flavor, it should be fine. Either way you should stabilize the yeast to prevent new fermentation if you decide to adjust sweetness.

Back