Hey Y'all - Anything I'm missing before I boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbotts

Reaction score
First time home brewer here. A little to excited about brew day this weekend. Starting with a full boil of extra pale ale from Northern Brewer. After about two months of research I think I'm ready to go. Below is my setup. Is there anything I'm missing

Equipment Setup:
30 qt. Stainless Steel Pot w/ lid
Sturdy outdoor burner w/ 20 pound LP tank
24 in. stainless steel basting spoon
Sanitizer
5 gal. glass carboy w/ airlock
Siphon and bottling tools
Bottling bucket
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Homemade immersion wort chiller
Brushes
How To Brew by John Palmer
About 2 cases of bottles

Am I ready? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

A timer will help, other than that it looks good. Good Luck. Watch for the hot break. Turn heat down to prevent a boil over.

Capper, caps when time to bottle. Or is that under bottling tools? Are you using any grains or hops?

You'll need a bigger fermenter- either 6.5 gallon carboy or a bucket. A 5 gallon carboy will not hold a 5 gallon batch of beer. If that's all you have, you can get by with it if you have to by using a "blow off tube" so that the excess beer and krausen (the foam that develops during fermentation) can get out.

You'll need a bigger fermenter- either 6.5 gallon carboy or a bucket. A 5 gallon carboy will not hold a 5 gallon batch of beer. If that's all you have, you can get by with it if you have to by using a "blow off tube" so that the excess beer and krausen (the foam that develops during fermentation) can get out.

What she said. I suppose a bottling bucket could be used if necessary. They're usually around 7-7.5 gallons.

Thanks Yooper. With the 3 piece airlock, how much is the max for the 5 gal. carboy? The extract kit is designed for a 5 gal batch. If I make a smaller batch, will I need to reduce any ingredients?

BTW, I used to live in Marquette and Negaunee.

Are you sure that the carboy is only 5 gallon? I know a lot of people refer to a carboy as 5 gallon because that is what size batch they put in but in reality they are larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. When I ordered it, the description said it was a 5 gallon. Here's the kit: Amazon.com: Gold Complete Beer Equipment Kit (K7) with 5 Gallon Glass Carboy: Everything Else It just says 5 gallons.

Ok, well it says the "5 gallon carboy" is for secondary fermentation. I hardly ever do that, but since you have the bucket you'll want to begin with the bucket. Since that's also your bottling bucket, you'll "rack" (siphon) to the carboy after fermentation is over. And then after a couple of weeks in the carboy, you'll rack back to the bucket for bottling.

I'd be inclined to just buy another bucket, a bottling bucket, and not use the carboy for the first few times until you get proficient with siphoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info everyone! After a small scare and some additional reading I'm going to do my primary in the bottling bucket since it has a grommeted hole for the airlock. It has a 7+ gallon capacity. I'll keep the spigot clean and transfer to the carboy for secondary then back to the bucket for priming and bottling. I guess I just wanted to do a primary in the glass and watch it work. Oh well. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info everyone! After a small scare and some additional reading I'm going to do my primary in the bottling bucket since it has a grommeted hole for the airlock. It has a 7+ gallon capacity. I'll keep the spigot clean and transfer to the carboy for secondary then back to the bucket for priming and bottling. I guess I just wanted to do a primary in the glass and watch it work. Oh well. Thanks again.

Good plan, I went to your link and it does appear that your glass carboy is a 5 gallon. While there is nothing more fun than watching your first beers ferment in glass, you probably will end up using buckets when you have seen a few. When I lend out equipment I always give a 1st timer a better bottle so they have the thrill of watching that awesome process. (I hate lending out glass.. too many accidents can happen) Maybe someone you know will lend you a clear bottle for your batch.

a 5 gallon fermenter will be fine if using dry yeast. been doing it for years. i have a 6.5 and a 7.9g fermenter, but for all 1.060 or less beers with dry yeast, i've used a 5g ale pail for a long time

Latest posts

Back