Hello/Critique/Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exarch

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a very new convert to the home brewing world - decided it would be my post-lockdown present to myself! I've been a short time reader but now that I have 2 brews under my belt felt it was time to post!

For a little background - while I live in the UK now, I spent a long time living in Dusseldorf and my primary motivation for getting into home brewing is to make some authentic, just-like-home style Altbier since it cannot be found in the UK. I've picked up Palmer's 'How to Brew' and read cover-to-cover, and I estimate I've taken in a good 3% of the wisdom he has to offer. My plan is to stick to extract brewing until I've had all the fun there is to have there and then probably move to all grain once I have the basics down. I'm also planning to make the odd IPA which will hopefully bribe my fiancee to allow her kitchen to become a brew hub from time to time.

I picked up a Peco boiler, buckets and basics, and started with the obligatory IPA kit brew which has taught me that I do not like working with DME and will hopefully stick to grains and LME from now on!

I was hoping I could post my first recipe and brew here for any helpful critiques as well as ask for a bit of help with a technical issue.

So I've had my first go at making the Altbier - brewed up today. I've gone for a 5 gallon batch size and used 1.5kg each of Briess Munich and Pilsen LME with a 60 minute boil time as well as steeping 1kg of Caramunich II grains at 67C for 30 minutes in the full boil volume inside my boiler. With 30 minutes to go I added 100g of 3.2AA Saaz hops, chilled down to 20C with an immersion wort chiller (took about 45 mins?) and pitched one packet of White Labs Dusseldorf Alt Ale Yeast. My planned OG was 1.052 on Brewer's Friend, hygrometer reading ended up at 1.050 so not too far off. Estimated FG should be 1.016.

We'll see if it turns out anything at all like the Altbier I remember - I was wondering if any of the wise voices on the forum had experience brewing extract Altbier and had any tips to share with me?

Finally - a more technical question - I am having some issues hooking up my wort chiller (which came in my kit albeit without piping or any adapter) to my kitchen tap. I know some brewers use their hose attachment however as my outside hose is down a flight of stairs and way out in the garden I am not thinking that carrying 20-25L of boiling wort down those outdoor steps is a particularly wise move, so am hoping to make my kitchen setup. Currently as my tap does not allow any sort of mating attachment I am using a highly technical arrangement of jankily strapping my silicone piping to my tap using cable ties, waterproof tape and a kitchen piping bag. While it gets the job done...it's not how I would like to make my permanent setup work! Any thoughts on how I might improve on this? Picture enclosed.

Thanks a bunch in advance, I'll be keen to take on any advice that the more experienced brewers here might have for me!

BW

Andy

Attachments

• wort chiller.jpg
    wort chiller.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Hey, Andy,

I can't speak on the recipe, I was going to mention that If you can unscrew the aerator on the faucet then you might be able to find an adaptor for an outdoor hose. I attached pics of what I use - With the adaptor to connect to the faucet, I run the faucet into a 4-way tap so I can have one that shoots down water, one for my bottle washer, and one that has a quick connect on it to attach to a small RV hose both for my water filter setup and my immersion chiller.

Here's an amazon search for the faucet adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Kitc...19804802&sprefix=facuet+hose+,aps,275&sr=8-13

If you can't use a faucet adaptor, there's also a product like this water bandit that might be useful: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connec...619804724&sprefix=facuet+hose+,aps,275&sr=8-8

Best of luck to you! Hope the Altbier turns out; I was planning on making one of those myself soon :)

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPEG
    IMG_0075.JPEG
    554.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0076.JPEG
    IMG_0076.JPEG
    365.6 KB · Views: 7
Typically altbiers are fermented a bit cooler than standard ales (13-18C) and beginning homebrewers usually aren't setup for this extra feature. Do you have that capability - to hit and maintain around 14C?

Typically altbiers are fermented a bit cooler than standard ales (13-18C) and beginning homebrewers usually aren't setup for this extra feature. Do you have that capability - to hit and maintain around 14C?

Not....yet :) I'm still waiting on finding a cheap fridge to cannibalise. The White Labs yeast seemed to suggest it would be ok from 18-20C, although tbf ambient temperature in my fermentation room is about 17-18C so I wouldn't be too far off

I spent a long time living in Dusseldorf and my primary motivation for getting into home brewing is to make some authentic, just-like-home style Altbier since it cannot be found in the UK. My plan is to stick to extract brewing until I've had all the fun there is to have there and then probably move to all grain once I have the basics down.

We'll see if it turns out anything at all like the Altbier I remember - I was wondering if any of the wise voices on the forum had experience brewing extract Altbier and had any tips to share with me?

Thanks a bunch in advance, I'll be keen to take on any advice that the more experienced brewers here might have for me!

BW

Andy

Welcome to HBT and thanks for posting!
I've never tried to make an extract Altbier, and I don't have the experience you've had with drinking the real thing, but I'll go out on a limb and say that its just not going to be the same as when you were in Germany.
The good news is that if you can brew an extract beer, you can brew all grain by using the BIAB method. You have a pot, get a BIAB bag, the proper grain, heat the water, put the bag in, add your grain and wrap it up with an old coat and don't mess with it for about 60-90 minutes. Pull the bag and start your boil,. Its really that simple. You can make it more complicated if you want to, but starting out you can keep everything simple and easy, get your sanitation, yeast handling, fermentation and packaging processes figured out. There are lots of you tube videos showing BIAB brewing.
For an authentic Dusseldorf Altbier taste, make sure you go with the best German malts you can obtain. I've noticed a big difference when brewing German styles when I use German malts compared to US or UK malts.
:bigmug:

I agree on BIAB - I moved from extract to BIAB and there's really not much to the process - a bag and some heat-proof gloves to squeeze it when you're done. Kits usually have steeping grains so it's not really much different except the size, temp and time!đź‘Ť

I've done and extract Altbier and i came out amazing. Still my wife's fav beer i have brewed... although i have never been to Germany or had one their, so it who knows how authentic it tasted. Also, i did that with zero temp control in my basement. Hope you enjoy!

Back