Hey what did I make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillAdams

Reaction score
As the resident expert of All Grain in my house after only 3 all grain mashes I decided I was better than all of those german brauhaus master brewers so i made up my own recipe.

14 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb medium crystal 60
2 lb light crystal 20

Tallerau 1 oz
yakama 1 oz

saf-ale 04 english ale yeast

any ideas of how this stuff is going to taste and what style it should be?

I don't know what yakama is or when you put it in the beer, but the rest of the recipe, if it's for a 5 gallon batch, looks like a very sweet ale. No particular style at all, but German-ish.

i made about 5.5 gallons of it after the boil. the OG was 1.078 at 90degrees. and yes the yakama is yakima hops.

I like the comment that "I made beer" that kind of sums it all up. thanks for the comments

Prosit!

so the crystal adds to the head but not anything for the alcohol or flavor? and what you say makes perfect sense. I did the 3rd rack into the keg and the FG was 1.040. I was going to wait about 2 more weeks to let it finish in the keg and carbonate, but if what your saying is true, it is done and I will need to infuse Co2 into the keg.

Crystal malt (and the unfermentable sugars that it contributes) will add significantly to the flavor. The sugars that don't ferment make the beer taste sweet, and you probably have a pretty sweet beer there. Your apparent attenuation is about 47% which is pretty low but not surprising for your recipe. It might taste a little cloying or syrupy, but since you kegged it you can increase the carbonation to taste, which can help combat the sweetness.

S/F

thanks for the knowledge. i am about to study up on unfermentable sugars.

"For the life of me I thought Turkeys could fly" Mr. Carlson WKRP

Back