Hershey's sugar free syrup in milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Can I add Hershey's sugar free syrup to bottling bucket along with priming sugar without issue?

Just looked it has potassium sorbate, so a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hersheys coco powder maybe? Not sure how well it would mix in during the bottling stage but I have used it in the boil with good results.

Yeah. 8oz of unsweetened cocoa powder plus a pound of lactose is a pretty good combo mixed dry, with warm water then added to make a slurry and put in with 10 min left in the boil.

What about useing normal hersheys syrup for priming? Has anyone tried this & what were your results? I have brewed all of three batches so just looking for ideas & to use the pool of experience here.

Use the lowest fat cocoa powder you can find. Compare the calories per serving numbers; total vs calories from fat. I use Rapunzel brand from Germany and it is around 30% (5 fat calories in 14 total). The brands vary widely. Also avoid the alkalized (dutch process).

I am not worried about the fat or want the sugar free. I want to use regular hersheys. I quite worrying about wait a year ago when I retired from the army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

I used Torani Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup in my triple chocolate stout. I used chocolate malt, cocoa powder, and Torani. I mashed the chocolate malt, put 8 oz of cocoa @ 15 minutes on the boil, and 2 cups of the Torani syrup into the bottling bucket. We all know without vanilla, chocolate doesn't taste like chocolate. That said, I used pure Vanilla, and added it before I added the Torani syrup. It didn't occur to me up front that one of the natural flavors in the syrup was vanilla. My wife and everyone else that had tried it, liked it. It has been in the bottle since mid November, and has changed flavor a bit for the positive so far. I open one bottle a month to taste for any changes. Come next November, I am hoping we have a fantastic beer to share with our family and friends.

Minded man - it bottle carbed up without issue?

So here's the ingredients...label me skeptical that this will bottle carb - look at the preservatives:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398906239.016634.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on this?

I have never tried it so all of this is just my thinking...

I wouldn't put hershey's syrup in my beer because it tastes way too artificial to me. I like it on my ice cream and in milk, but I spend too much time and money on my beer to ruin it with 'fake' chocolate syrup. This is, of course, personal opinion.

I doubt that there are enough preservatives in the syrup to really effect your beer since you will probably be adding a relatively small amount.

Response to first question, beer has carbed w/o issue. Samuel Smiths Orgasmic Chocolate Stout? Hell yes, every chance I get. I believe they are using a high quality (duh) chocolate extract at the finish. Once upon a time, I roasted cocoa nibs, crushed them into vodka and (my daughter wants to learn to make beer as well.) My daughter actually leaned over my shoulder to type that. What I was trying to say, is the flavor of ROASTED cocoa nibs made into a tincture (extract) is just amazing. It really adds the flavor of a great chocolate to anything it mixes with. "White Kay Star" brand makes what is touted to be a fantastic chocolate extract, but it is described as an additive flavor of chocolate, not to be used as the only chocolate flavoring, if that description makes sense.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a great ale, but I believe Sam Smith's is a better choice.

Nothing comes close to Sam Smith's.... Too bad it's been de-listed up here...

So I finally cracked a bottle - only tried syrup in three of my bottles just in case. Added three tablespoons worth in each. Definite carbonation and the closest I've gotten to Sam Smith's - though I'd probably go 1.5 tablespoons next time. Thanks to mindenman - sorry I was so skeptical...

Latest posts

Back